This Disappears When Logged In

field herping in BMT

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by furryscaly, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Need to revive this section. Hmm, well, while in BMT I saw several geckos, and even managed to catch a baby one while doing details one day. He was a cutie, a house gecko of some variety. Tiny little guy. Ok, I also caught a treefrog while on tent guard during the war games. It was dark out, but I got a good look at him. Here's something I'm not accustomed to though, I have NO IDEA what kind he was. Hmm, to describe him...he looked almost like a mini cuban treefrog, about an inch long, but I'm fairly sure he wasn't a cuban. I have a cuban at home (Woof, oh, that's his name). I also saw a toad. Oh, and just yesterday a Ssgt walked in with a horned lizard in his hands that he had caught outside. It was a lot bigger than the ones in ND. Other than that, I saw some cool herps at the zoo in San Antonio, but didn't have a camera :( They had a really big green anaconda too, and an awesome gator habitat.

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Cool finds. What color was the treefrog ?

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

He was golden and tan, with brown patterns on him. Kinda hard to describe. He wasn't a grey treefrog, spring peeper, chorus frog, or any of those. I'm a little rusty on the frogs of Texas without a field guide to help me out though. He definately looked Hylid to me though.

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Last night I went out gecko hunting for a few minutes. I saw 4 geckos and caught 1. I bought a big tupperware and put holes in it and put it in my closet. I added branches and stuff and named him Charlie. If I can't catch enough bugs for him I'll let him go. Heck, maybe I'll just let him go anyway and catch a new one every other day or something. Its not like there's a shortage of them out here, but I can't stand not having any pets around and there's no pet store on base. He's a cutie too. Some type of house gecko.

5. cman

cman Elite Member

lol nice just dont get caught with one of those in ur closet might get in trouble

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Nah, the closets are locked and non-inspectable. Anyway, I let the gecko go, there's not enough for me to catch around here for gecko food. The only bugs I can find enough of that are the proper size are harvester ants, but they won't eat them. Oh well, I see at least 5 a night anyway on my way back to the dorm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.