This Disappears When Logged In

Fiber Glass

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Stacy, Oct 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stacy

Stacy Member

Anybody know if fiberglass is hazardous to lizards?

My husband was using fiberglass to fabricate a big pond at the bottom or our new cage and thought about using it for the whole back, then he can mold out ledges and such along the back wall as well. Anyone???

2. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Im not sure but i dont think i would want to. Its iritating to our skin so it might bother them. Even though it is solid eventually it sorta sheds and even if it doesnt bother the lizard the fibers and stuff could be digested or get in their eyes and such.

But im not positive we are talking about the same thing. You are talking about the solid fiberglass and not the insulation right?

also to prevent it from shedding you could always put a sealent on it. Just a thought and by all means dont take my answer without hearing from others first because im not positive on if we are talking about the same

3. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

As long as it is sealed right there shouldn't be any problem. Use sandpaper or a sanding block to keep the edges from being frayed.
    THere are several methods used to make natural looking fake rocks and branches. Do a search about taxidermy mounts, fake rocks for taxidermy, or even fibeglass rocks. Ive seen several tutorials floating around the web that should be able to help you much more.

4. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I second the sealing. But to play devil's advocate it's probably cheaper and a whole lot easier to buy a prefab pond at a home and garden center.

5. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

If you are using fiberglass resin to fabricate structures it will be fine as long as YOU MAKE SURE that it has cured long enough as fiberglass fumes are toxic

6. Stacy

Stacy Member

Thanks for the replys everyone. I figured it isn't one of those things we'd get a defenite answer for. He's using the liquid fiber glass or he calls it "bondo". He seems to think that it's also what shower and tubs are made of so that makes me think its ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.