This Disappears When Logged In

Female BCI 1 Year Old, 7 Feet and About 30lbs, is This Unusual?

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Kthulhu, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Kthulhu

Kthulhu New Member

I have a common boa that is just one year old and is 7 feet long and about 30-35 lbs, she is active and seems very healthy. I feed her one large rat every 7-10 days, occasionally I push that to 14 days depending on where I am or if she is shedding. I am wondering if I am overfeeding her because she is growing very fast? She does get very active and seems to be hungry around the 7-10 day mark so I thought I have not been overfeeding her. Is she just going to big a big girl and is this unusual? She is in a 6 foot tank and will be getting an 8 foot front opening boaphile soon because I can no longer comfortably lift her up out of her tank and she is bulky and it probably doesn't feel so good for me to pick her up and out. Any information is appreciated, she is my first and only snake and I would like to have her as long as possible so I don't want to be overfeeding her and reducing her lifespan.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

There is no chart for snake length and weight. Nothing like a BMI for them.

The most reliable way to tell if your snake is overweight, is if you can see the skin between the scales at times other than immediately after feeding. If the scales no longer cover her completely, it may be time to cut back the feedings a little.

I have seen one obese boa, and her scales did NOT cover her skin completely anymore, and in fact were starting to stick outwards, rather than laying flat against her skin. She was about as big around as a basketball.

If your boa is still growing appreciably in length, chances are, she isn't getting fat just yet. I would stay on the 10-14 day regimen until growth slows down, at which you can adjust her down to every 2-3 weeks or so. Boas are generally fast growers. I would not consider a 10-14 day feeding regimen to be too much for a growing snake. Weekly might be overkill.

I know my girl is kinda porky, and I only feed her every 3-4 weeks, but she also disposes of any refused meals offered to my other snakes, though it isn't much, it's at least once a month...

My girl, Akasha, is a little over ten feet long, and is around 50lbs. The skin in between her scales isn't showing much yet, but she is getting close, therefore, she is getting portly, but not horribly overweight yet. Trying to curb that.

Some girls get big! 6-8 feet is only "average" and the females exceed that with some regularity.

Sounds like yours is a healthy happy snake. Got any pics?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  3. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I agree with Jen, you just need to look at your snake and check the scales as described. There are people out there who will make blanket statements about a snake's age/size, and label it overfed (particularly with boas and other constrictors), but as with anything else it really does depend on the snake. Boas are pretty variable that way.

Post some pics though (we all love pics), sounds like a pretty impressive snake. Has me wondering where she'll top out.

4. Kthulhu

Kthulhu New Member

kthulhu_august14.jpg

kthulhu_livingroom_aug14.jpg

I studied her over, she doesn't have any gaps in between scales. I'm going to stop the feeding every 7 days and will try to stick between 10-14 days.

Here are two pics of her from this past summer, my apartment was so hot that I just let her wander about and checked on her as she moved room to room. She is a bit thicker now than these photos show, her heavy bottom puts up a bit of a fight when I tell her it's time to go back in her tank, the spoiled devil.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Those pictures make her look smaller, lol.

She does not look unhealthy in the least.