This Disappears When Logged In

Female Anole with Lumps on Neck

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by AviaMR, Oct 16, 2014.

1. AviaMR

AviaMR New Member

I've had this anole (daughter named her Ancalagon the Black) since late June. She was a classroom pet that the teacher brought into the pet store I work at because none of the kids wanted to take her home. She's been doing well, has shed about 4 times in the time I've had her. She was in a 12x12x18 Zoo Med naturalistic terrarium with 2 live plants, a silk plant, a hollow half log, a drift wood branch and a manzanita branch with jungle earth over hydroball substrate and sphagnum moss here & there. She had a compact florescent UVB bulb (10-12 hours a day) and a 60W red nightlight reptile bulb (24/7), misting 3-4 times a day, humidity varying from 50-85%. The lights were in a mini deep double dome hanging from a light stand so that the fixture was just above the mesh top, just high enough to not touch it.

I recently came across a 29 gallon aquarium that someone got rid of, and decided to upgrade Ancalagon's digs. I washed the tank out thoroughly with hot water and bleach (thorough rinse afterwards), added some new plants that I washed all of the soil from the roots of, rinsed the leaves then planted in a mixture provided by Fauna in NYC in the jungle earth over red clay gravel substrate. Due the cost, I added to the new tank slowly. I used a spare fixture and UVA bulb (from a tropical reptile kit I bought when I first brought her home and no longer use) to provide light for the plants. Over the course of about 5 weeks I got everything set up and finally transferred Ancalagon to the new tank and added a friend - another anole that I am pretty confident is also female (daughter named this one Smaug). The new tank has a Zoo Med strip light with a ReptiSun T8 10.0 bulb (I have a 5.0 on order), the double dome with a 60W red light at one end and the fixture that came with the kit I mentioned before with another 60W red light at the other end (the two seem to have settled on opposite sides of the tank). I have two drift wood branches, the manzanita branch, 7 live plants (three pothos, two large croton, one smaller-leaved croton, and I'm not sure what the other plant is called but I got it at Fauna too), two silk hanging plants, one plastic standing plant, a lizard ladder on each short end of the tank, two hollow half logs and sphagnum moss here & there. I feed them small crickets every few days or so. I put about 10-12 small crickets in on Monday and there are still some in the tank today. I feed the crickets both Rainforest Junky's cricket gutload and Repashy's Bug Burger along with little pieces of pear. I had been giving them some of the Fluker's orange cube complete cricket diet as well, but the jar was getting a funky smell so I threw it out. I put a dish with cricket food in the tank with the anoles to avoid the crickets getting hungry and going after the anoles.

When I moved Ancalagon to the new tank, I managed to get a picture of her and noticed that she had a lump on either side of her neck, between the shoulder and jaw. At first I thought she was just fat, but looking at another picture I got of her, I'm wondering now if it's more than that. Does anyone have any insight on this? I am pretty new to owning reptiles (my son had an anole about 20 years ago, another class pet) and don't know if this is something I should worry about (although I guess I'm already worrying!). I'll try to attach the photos I have.

Attached Files:

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

If possible, and without stressing the lizard out too much, do you think you could gently poke the lump and see if it is indeed fat or something else like a tumor or something.

The first thing that jumped to my mind was how often times leopard geckos develop little "bubbles" in their armpits, which is fat and excess nutrients if memory serves.

Also, your tank looks good so husbandry in terms of caging probably isn't the problem- has the anole been acting strangely?

3. AviaMR

AviaMR New Member

Hi & thanks for the reply. I tried to catch her, but she's quick! The tank is pretty full so once she got into the plants that was it. I'll try again. She's been acting the same as she's been as far I can tell. I won't see her for a day or two, then she'll be out more for a few days then hide again. Hopefully it's just fat but I'll keep an eye on her to see if the lumps change in size. The only thing is that there are still a few crickets in the tank. I did put a whole bunch (at least 12) in there a few days ago (Tuesday or Wednesday night). I guess the stress of the new setup and a roommate could be keeping them from eating as much. Obviously Ancalagon usually has a hearty appetite, but I know that Smaug was very thin and seemed possibly dehydrated when I got her. She lived with at least two other anoles at the store, one a large male that bullied her & the other anole so maybe she's still getting over that. She definitely looks a lot better now than she did last Sunday.

4. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Doing a little more research I found next to nothing about these lumps save for a few threads on other forums.
    Lump on Anoles' Neck | Reptile Boards

I'm stumped with this one, really.

5. AviaMR

AviaMR New Member

Thanks Qwerty. Everything I've found online is similar to the post you linked, but all of the posts refer to lumps on one side or the other, not symmetrical like Ancalagon has. I'm keeping an eye on her.

6. Eragon Bromson

Eragon Bromson New Member

Hey! i just started taking care of 3 Green anoles. these bumps formed on Leo(the youngest male) after he was bit by spike(the oldest male). i relise that this is an old conversation but please, i need answers.