This Disappears When Logged In

Female 5 Foot Central American Boa Constrictor

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by Sierra0101, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Sierra0101

Sierra0101 New Member

I have a 5 foot female boa constrictor and I have no idea why i am concerned about her girth. She seems pretty skinny compared to other boas I've seen of her size. I wrapped a piece of yarn around her and measured it to be about 5-6 inches. She eats 1 large rat every 3 weeks. I wanted to breed her some day. I dont know exactly how old she is. The guy I got her from had her for at least a year but I dont know how old she was when he got her. He got her from a reptile breeder at an expo and the container he got her in has been her water bowl ever since so I have it and its pretty big, so I have a feeling she wasnt a baby when he got her, but hey, what do I know ^_^
    Lets talk, I'm new here:)
    I tried posting pictures but I dont think it uploaded..little exclamation points are popping up. So..

2. Sierra0101

Sierra0101 New Member

JHsJ8.jpg
    compared to me
    [ lBfPe.jpg
    compared to my ball python, she is the darker one
    1se8r.jpg
    on door knobs
    m6E4U.jpg
    in her water dish

Attached Files:

3. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Hi! I commented on your thread on another forum. Here's how you upload pictures to a forum.

1: Upload your picture to an image hosting site such as Photobucket or Flickr.
    2: Copy the code that has the in front of it.
    3: Paste it into the text box of the forum.

4. Sierra0101

Sierra0101 New Member

Patience! You posted at 10:00 on a Sunday night!
    Not everyone stays up late!

As for your girth question, I think the snake looks fine. Might put on a tad bit more weight but certainly nothing to get worried about.
    Boas tend to put their growth energy into length first and then bulk up.
    This girl is right at 5 ft. IMG_0485.jpg

Attached Files:

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Try feeding every 2 weeks. 5 foot long and 5 inches around does seem a little small, she is probably a few years old.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Just wanted to say, she is gorgeous!

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I second the 2-week suggestion, for a snake of that size.

8. xViLLaiN

xViLLaiN Banned User

She is a beaut.. i feed once a week with my one year old, but he is currently feeding on small rats and was previously on large mice when I adopted him. Once i move to mediums, im sure he will be eating ever two weeks after the first initial couple of feedings..

9. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

I feed my 5' footer a large Rat every 9 days, I think every three weeks is just a tad too long between meals

10. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

She's pretty! She doesn't seem underweight, maybe could do with an inch or two in girth but with two week feedings she'll fatten up in no time! Or, if she's not hungry, maybe try getting a larger prey item or two regular rats to give her every three weeks.

11. xViLLaiN

xViLLaiN Banned User

I agree, I don't think it's something that is critical, but I'm sure she will easily pick up a little more weight from more frequent feedings or possibly just large prey.