This Disappears When Logged In

Feedings First Day

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Reg, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Reg

Reg Member

Hello all! I did a search and couldnt find a solid answer. I brought home my new dragon today, not sure exactly how old he is but I'm pretty sure he cant be more than a few weeks old since the breeders said it was still too young to sex. Anway, I know it needs a few days to get used to his new home before handling but should I also wait a few days before trying to feed him as well? Right now he has fresh water but I'm not sure if I should try feeding him tomorrow or wait a few days for him to feel more relaxed.

2. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

You can try to feed it, but I doubt he will be interested in eating just yet. I personally would wait a day or two. I don't like leaving crickets in the Vivs because they will sometimes try to nibble on the heels. A few days isn't gonna hurt a healthy lizard. Best of luck

3. Reg

Reg Member

Awesome, thanks! I tried crickets last night and he ate 2 of them and then seemed disinterested. Same this morning so I just left him some fresh apple and greens in his bowl before I left for work. Hopefully he eats some. I guess I'll lay off the crickets for a few days.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, just for the sake of asking, can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure and give details of the conditions? Thanks!

5. Reg

Reg Member

UVB light covers the length of the terrarium. Top of the branch is 96 F, floor under the lamp is 91 F. Cool side has been 86-90. I know the basking spot should be a little warmer. I'd like to get his logs closer because I'm already using a 100 watt bulb but I don't wana make any changes while he's adjusting. He did eat 7-8 medium crickets (coated in powder) just now so that's a good sign. The last couple days I have been offering him superworms but he hasn't taken a single one. Even today he wasn't interested in the least but then pounced immediately on the crickets. I have some Phoenix worms coming in the mail tomorrow hopefully he'll be interested in those. He hasn't been eating the greens I've been offering but he did take a couple bites when I offered him some by hand 2 days ago.

He hasn't been super active but he hasn't been hiding at all, I've seen him basking, and he usually is wide eyed and head up. Also I've been trying to keep handing to a minimum but when I do pet or pick him up he seems pretty calm for the most part. No signs of aggression or stress marks. I haven't bathed him yet should I give him more time to adjust before bathing? I've misted him daily but haven't seen him drink yet.

Attached Files:

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photo, would I be correct in thinking the fishtank has a part screen top? If it has you need to cover it as completely as possible to stabilise the conditions.
    You haven`t said how you`re measuring the basking surface temp, but if it`s with a probe from the digital hygrometer they aren`t as accurate as an IR Temp-gun.
    You basically need to know two temps during "activity time", those are the basking surface @ between approx 40 to 45c (105 to 115f) then the.lowest ambient @ between approx. 21 to 24c (72 to 75f). Nighttime no lower than approx. 19 (68f).
    The humidity should range between approx. 30 to 50%+ and there should be no need to bathe the lizard in terms of helping them to shed the skin. You should not be forced handling at all until the dragon has fully acclimated to the enclosure.

Digital Infrared Temperature Temp Gun Thermometer Non-Contact IR Laser Point

7. Reg

Reg Member

I am measuring temps with a IR temp gun. I measure at the from the bottom of the tank to the highest spot of the log. It's a Zilla Terrarium, the top is made of a metal grate with small holes. Humidity has been no higher than 42% since I've brought him home. Also his UVB and heat lamp are on a timer for 12 hour cycle. He ate pretty good yesterday now I'm just waiting to see him poop.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you show a photo of the whole top and explain how the basking surface temp is around 90f or so which is about the same as the cool side ambient (air)? What type of basking bulb is it?

9. Reg

Reg Member

It is summer where I live. Ambient temp in that room is usually in the low to mid 80s during the day but yesterday was a particularly hot day and ambient was higher so the cool side of the tank was reading 90ish. The basking bulb is a 100w zoo med and is about 10 inches the the floor of the tank so there is some heat drop off by the time it reaches the floor but since the top of the perch is nearly 100F I didn't think it would be an issue.

I'm not at home right now to take an actual picture of the lid but this is what it looks like. Just metal mesh.

Attached Files:

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

O.k I understand the temps are high because of the weather, although you do still need to provide a basking site I think you could use a lower wattage bulb, also is there anywhere else in the house that`s a bit cooler?
    The screen top means you cannot stabilise the conditions to any degree.

11. Reg

Reg Member

I tried lower wattage bulks (50, and 75) but neither were able to get temps anywhere near 100 even higher up the perch. I plan to use them late in the dragon life when he doesn't need quite as hot of a basking spot. My house gets pretty hot in the summer but there are few days when it's 90+. Most days ambient temps are in the low 80s. Unfortunately I don't have central air.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The dragon will need exactly the same temp and humidity ranges throughout it`s entire life.

13. Reg

Reg Member

Oh. I read basking spot was supposed to be 100-110 for juveniles and low to mid 90s as adults

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Absolutely not, why would a larger lizard that takes longer to heat up require lower basking temps!? Some of the "caresheets" out there are frighteningly inaccurate!

15. Reg

Reg Member

Well thanks for the heads up. What should temp should I be aiming for under the basking spot?

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I mentioned it earlier, a basking surface temp of between approx. 40 to 45c (105 to 115f) is fine throughout all life stages.