This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by Josh, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josh

Josh Elite Member

Trina finally has a feeding tote but I have a quick question. She is just under 6 feet and I feed her a good size medium rat a week and about mid week she starts acting like she is hungry again. So my question is should I be feeding her more than this. I will be breeding my own rats soon so it won't be a problem if she should be eating more than that a week. Any help would be appreciated.

2. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Um shes close to 6 foot now? Ditch the tote. Feed her in the cage. Try to wrestle a 6 or 8 or 10 foot snake into a tote that is hungry, then try to open the lid. YOU become food lol.

Retics that are younger have a fast metabolism. I fed mine when he was at 6 feet 2 xxl Rats a week. That lasted a while then I had to move to 3 xxl when he got close to 8. Then I just fed rabbits. When I got rid of him he was over 11feet. He is now 13 or 14.

If you feed them right you can get them easily up to 10 foot in the first year. No not power feeding, just if you feed them right :).

Breeding your own rats for 1 retic wont pay off due to the fact that she will out grow rats soon. Breeding your own rabbits wont help either. the Cost, the time, the effort in breeding and raising them just wont pay off.

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Nate I have to disagree with you on this one. I am a firm believer in ALWAYS feeding in a separate enclosure. When a snake gets large enough you just need some help handling it.

4. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I agree with Ken....I think if you feed it in the cage...When you put your hand in the cage I would think they would think it is food!!!!!

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

That's my philosophy

6. MoogleBass

Have fun with moving a 13ft or larger hungry snake that will try and strike at you when you open the tub, or move it, or try and take it out when its hungry.

Its a retic, it thinks alot of things are food. lol

I fed mine in its cage after I almost got tagged while feeding in a tote, same size as his. I asked some other large snake owners and they said heck no, feed in its tank. I brought up the feeding in another tub, they said if you want to get bit. I fed mine in his cage never once did he strike at me. He knew what day was feeding day. I didn't mess with him other than to feed him on that day. Other snakes ya I say feed in another tub, retics, burms, african rocks, anything large enough that could kill you, leave it in its cage and feed it.

Also helps too if you hook train them.

7. Josh

Josh Elite Member

She is hook trained she took to it very well and picked it up quick one question when you said feed them right what did you mean about that? And for now she is being fed in the tote and as she gets bigger she will probably get fed in the enclosure but that wont be until she out grows this tote lol and i figure after that she will be to big for me to keep taking her from cage to tote and then from tote to cage and she is EXTREMELY aggressive right after she eats I have been tagged several times already -- not very pleasant

You can see the size of the rats she is eating in the feeding pics thread
    and just another note her wheezing is gone the doc said it could have been because where I got her she was in that little 5 gallon and she had sand as a substrate so it was a humidity thing which is all cured now

8. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree with Nate on this one -- as long as you are not using a particle substrate that the snake can ingest, it is far safer to feed extremely large snakes in their enclosures.
    A lot of big snake owners actually have built a smaller "feeding slot/door" to drop food into their enclosures, so that they don't have to open the cage door and risk getting tagged and pulled in. I'm NOT joking! Better safe than killed.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm going to have to side with Nate on this one. Trying to move something the size of an adult retic back and forth from a feeding tub is not practical and dangerous.
    And the chances of having 3-4 people around who are willing to help is pretty slim!

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

At our zoo, we feed all of our snakes in their enclosures (and they are all on newspaper) and bites are very rare - only one in the last year, and that was a keepers mistake, when they forgot the hemostats, and tried to feed the boa by hand.

I think one of the major factors of snake bites from snakes who are fed in their cages, is the amount of time they spend with people. If your snake is handled often, they won't associate you with food. Our snakes (I'm in the education department) are all handled pretty much daily, sometimes more than once a day, and they are all fed weekly. Now, consider, a snake is handled approximately 7-12 times a week, and only fed once.

That said, I know retics are not exactly the most handleable snake around, especially when they get to be adults. Just something to consider.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And that is what is known as an SFE Award!
    Stupid
    Feeding
    Error!:p
    For most snakes, I would tend to agree. If the only time you interact with the snake is to open the cage and feed it then, yes, it will associate you not only with food, but as food! :eek:
    Pavlovian conditioning.
    However there are going to be some snakes that no matter how much you handle them there is still the risk of a feeding strike. You just have to get to know your snake.

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Yeah, I never blame SFE's on the snakes. That's always humans. (My boyfriend gets tagged every week - but he doesn't seem to mind.)

True, many snakes never really "tame" as much as others. Some are simply look but don't touch unless you'd like a series of punctures.

13. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

A 13 ft Retic would be difficult to move to a feeder tank, however Josh states that the retic is less than 6 ft. I personaly would continue using a feeder tank up to the point where it was difficult to do it alone.

14. MoogleBass

Even at 6 ft mine was a bear to move to its tote, then it tired to strike at me when I was feeding. That was the last time I used a tub.

I only got bit and pulled in his cage once, but it was 2 weeks since he ate and he was a lil ****y. He wrecked his cage and stuff and I was trying to get him out so I could clean. I don't know if he say the cat run by and tried to attack or what. Hurt but he didnt like old granddad :)(helped calm me some too lol)

15. Josh

Josh Elite Member

She is still being fed in the tote and she don't strike at me at all cause when I feed her she goes directly for the rat and when she is almost finished I place her back in the enclosure. So there is no chance that she can grab me. After feeding she is left alone for a day or so and she is perfectly fine. When she gets to be to much to handle she will be fed in the enclosure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.