This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding Tongs ?!

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by Dragoness, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

OK, (I'm not even sure this is technically where this thread belongs)

I have always heard that it's safer to feed with tongs. I have had VERY few incidents feeding my snakes, but I thought I'd break down and buy a pair anyways. Can never be too safe and all that.

Last night, I was feeding one of my BP's, dangling the rodent like normal. She usually has a good feeding response. She won't eat if I just leave it there. I still have to dance it around for her.

Instead of striking the rat like she usually would, she just struck straight for my hand, and connected.

She has never bit anyone, ever, for any reason. And I usually feed her by dangling rodents by the tail using my hands in front of her!

I think this must just be a fluke.

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Maybe it was the tongs and she was just saying "MOM!!! I'm not a little girl anymore!! I don't need to be spoon fed!!" :D:D:p;)

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

well, she's a mom herself, so that might just be it. I think that makes only my 2 or 3rd bite.... and I feed all my snakes in the same manner. Most of my other bites are not feeding related. They are random, or "temper tantrums".

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

That is strange. Maybe she thought the tongs were attacking you and she was trying to defend you and missed(good for her teeth/bad for your hand). I feed exclusively with a pair of hemostats and have never been bitten while introducing prey to them. Like I said, maybe she just wasn't used to the newness of the tongs and she just has to get used to them.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How long are your tongs?
    The ones I use are about 12 inches and I have never had a problem.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

these are 12 inch tongs. Took me by surprise.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

This was probably just a mistake, obviously their eyesight isn`t too good, also no depth perception either, but to catch you when using 12inch tongs is unlucky to say the least! I also agree with David, she needs to get used to the length (distance). I hope you`re both o.k.!

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

everyone's fine - bites are an occupational hazard for me, not just from snakes, but from all the critters at work. Just a few weeks ago, the bald eagle caught me in the face.

I think what happened was this: she smelled the rat, but the heat signature was coming from my hand, so that's what she aimed for. I have a hard time believing she was aiming for the mouse and missed, because she made a good solid connection with my hand.

However, using this logic, she should be striking me every feeding - She'll take rodents that are thawed completely to room temp (don't have to be warm) as long as they 'move'

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

That means she has to "hit" a moving target, so it may just be a miss!
    ( I know you only "wriggle" the mouse), but the tongs and mouse are a much smaller target than your hand, so it could be as you say, the heat from your hand!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.