This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding Rule of Thumb?

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by JoeandNancy, Sep 17, 2013.

1. JoeandNancy

JoeandNancy Member

Our baby King has been named by the wife, so we are keeping him, had his first pinkie on Sunday night. What I'd like to know is there a temp/feeding guide line, such as lower 70's once a week, mid 70's to 80 twice, 80's three times? I know that the higher the temp the higher they're metabolism is and the more food they need, so any ideas?

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I keep my colubrids at 85f hot side and 75f cool side constantly. I don't let their temps change and I feed everything under a year every 5-7 days. You should see a noticeable lump in his stomach when he is done eating. If you don't feed him the next size up. Meal size should be 1-1.5 times the largest part of his body, you will be amazed at what they can eat. Since he is a wild caught snake I would bring a fecal sample into a Vet, any Vet can do a fecal float test they don't have to be a reptile Vet. Chances are he has a nasty gut load of parasites. Normaly in the wild the parasite load doesn't bother them. The stress related to captivity can cause them to grow out of control.