This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding Response Biting

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by HappyAppy, Jan 27, 2014.

1. HappyAppy

HappyAppy Member

Hello everyone, im new here lol. So I have a female kingsnake that is a few months old that I myself have had for two months. She has calmed down quite a lot and is not quite as nervous but I med the mistake of appearing to "pinky like" and she latched on. It wasnt a big issue but now she is prone to try biting me thinking im food. Shes not aggressive by any means...she just mistakes my fingers for food now even when I scrub my hands over and over. Any help? :)

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How big is the snake? Pictures will help. You may need to increase its feeding size.

3. SolidSnake1

SolidSnake1 Member

Welcome,
    Im just curious, do you feed with long tongs? I use long thin tongs made for feeding snakes.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Sounds hungry to me. What is the normal prey and how often are you feeding? Like Merlin said, you may just need to increase the size and frequency of the feedings. Being such aggressive eaters, they can start going for whatever they think they might be able to eat. I have an ackie monitor that will bypass the tong and go for a fingertip if I leave one sticking out and she's too excited.

5. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

A light tap on the back of the head/neck area is usually enough to get any snake out of feeding mode. I like to keep a cardboard paper towel tube laying around for that purpose. You can also develope a specific routine that you can use for handling time vs feeding time, eventually your snake will be able to identify the difference and know "I am about to be picked up" or "food is on its way"

6. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Sounds like she is hungry! Does the pinky leave a bump in her belly? Might be time to try double pinkies or fuzzies. One of my 2013 corns is on fuzzies already.

7. HappyAppy

HappyAppy Member

I feed her one pinky every five days. It does seem to leave a bump but it is gone within 24 hours. I do use tongs to feed and yes she is a vicious eater lol Thank y'all so much :)

8. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Welcome to Herp center by the way :) We always love to see picks!