This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding Question

Discussion in 'Hog Island Boas' started by TJOHNSON722, Feb 8, 2011.

1. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

My husband and I are trying to switch Zeus over to ft rats. the pet store kept him on 3-4 live mice/week. He is good sized and I belive he could take a med sized rat. He hasnt eaten in 2 weeks due to shed. would this be a good time to try it? Feed day is tommorrow (thursday) for boh the ball and hogg. we dont know how many or if we should switch yet. we also want to switch the ball to ft mice and dont know where to begin. she eats during shed. any help would be greatly appreciated. have a great day!

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Now is the perfect time to try to switch all of them over. The only suggestion I would make is if you are going to switch your ball python to f/t, you may want to go ahead and try to switch to rats instead of mice. Rats have a better nutritional value and you can feed one appropriate sized rat where you may need to use two mice. Some balls are reluctant to switch over to frozen, (I had one that took 6 month and Dragoness had one that took even longer) the key is to be just as if not MORE stubborn than they are. You may need to get one that is live, then stun it to where it is still moving. The movement might stimulate their appetite. When that is successful for a while give one that is dead. Then get a f/t one and thaw it to room temp. Then soak it in warm/hot water to bring it up to normal body temp. Before you got to all that trouble, try a f/t one first- you may get lucky (I pray that is so). In the end, it will all be worth it. The snakes will not get scarred up by defensive mice/rats and the mice/rats will not die a cruel frightening death. Good luck and please keep us posted.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree with David. Go ahead and switch both to rats.
    And looking at the pictures of your hoggie, he can take an adult rat. What you want is a prey animal about as big around as the snake's body at the widest point. Don't be alarmed by looking at the size of the snake's head and neck. You will be amazed at what they can swallow.

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

thats the thing with the ball. she isnt very wide at the middle, her widest part. i wish i had better pics but an adult mouse is about the size of her middle. i may try a sm rat. ill let you know how it goes tommorrow. i think the hogg will take a ft adult rat as well. especially now he hasnt ate during shed. ill try both at first see how that goes. alhough she hasnt been acting hungry. its almost like a pattern in behaviour for her when she is. im afraid im not goung to be feeding either enough like i should maybe try 2 mic for her or something and 2 adult rats for he hogg

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can get rat pups, which are about the size of an adult mouse. But the actual meat to waste ratio is much better with a rat.
    And for now I would suggest one adult rat a week for the hogg.

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

after all the feedback, thats exactly what i told my husband to stop qnd get ft rat pup and one ft adult rat. well see. i think wih some creativity the ball mqy take it. sorry if my grammar and spelling are off im on my phone on here.

7. jezabella1982

jezabella1982 Well-Known Member

did the snakes eat the f/t?