This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding Question Re: FBTs

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by CrunchyGeek, Sep 21, 2011.

1. CrunchyGeek

CrunchyGeek Member

I'm a newbie to firebelly toads, so I've a ton of questions, most of which have been answered by spending way too much time reading stuff on this site!

My latest question is in regards to feeding. I don't want to breed crickets and plan on making a weekly trip to PetSmart. I don't trust the idiots there to know anything (they're the morons that said a FBT would be happy in a critter keeper), and I need to know approximately how many crickets of what size I'll need to feed two FBTs for a week. We'll be getting a friend for Ernest the frog this weekend once we have the new froggie condo set up, and I don't want to have to run out twice in a week - with 3 kids 5 and under getting out anywhere is a royal pain!

Also, should I get some kind of vitamin powder to dust Ernest's dinner? What about those pellets for moisture? I plan on keeping the crickets in a small critter keeper with a toilet paper tube.

2. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

You will need to get vitamin powder and calcium powder and rotate dusting the crickets in them.

Small crickets are preferred, and when I first got mine, I would just drop equal number of crickets to FBTs until all seemed to be full to get an idea of how many they will eat at one time. Makes it easier to know how many you will need per number of feedings you plan on doing before your next trip to the pet store.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

you should only need to go to the store once or twice a month. Buy as many as you need for that time. check out our care sheet on keeping crickets. get the small ones.