This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding of African Rock Python

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by azawahk, Feb 28, 2010.

1. azawahk

azawahk New Member

hi,
    i have caught a small african rock python in my backyard.
    how do i feed this python?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You may want to consider releasing this python back into the wild, or handing it over to wildlife officials, as they can get very large, and are more than capable of killing a human being once grown.

That said, if you are determined to keep it, you will need to find a steady supply of food items suited to the size of your python. Most pythons can eat something about 1.5 times the girth of their body at the thickest point. Most pythons in captivity are fed a diet that is mostly rodent, such as rats, rabbits, and mice.

You will need to find a pet store or breeder who can supply you with these animals, as you should not feed wild-caught animals because they can carry diseases or poisons that could harm your snake.

You should also be sure that what you feed is already dead (your snake may need to be converted to eating dead food) as live food can damage your snake, or even kill it.

If there is a supplier near you, you may be able to order frozen rodents, than all you have to do is thaw them and feed them to your snake.