This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding Multiple, Maybe Time to Size Up?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by akbaby907, May 21, 2014.

1. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

I feel like the hoppers I've been feeding my boa are on the small side for her, she doesn't have even the slightest indication of a lump after feeding. The local pet store that I'm buying from doesn't have any larger size but adult mice and no rats, the adults are way too big for her. I'm not in a position to order online just yet and I'm trying to find anybody else locally that I can get feeders from, but for now my question is how I should go about feeding her. I've got her on F/T, feeding once a week.

1. Possibly feed her two hoppers, or maybe one and a half?
    2. Go down to a small size and feed multiple?
    3. Feed more often, like every 5 days? (Personally I don't like this idea but it was suggested from a family member, I just want input/opinion from here)
    4. Just keep on with the hoppers until I have access to a better suited size?

Any kind of information needed about size, enclosure, what have you, just specifically ask and I can get right away. Thanks in advance!

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

We need that info. Nobody can give you any help without some idea of your snakes size. A picture wouldn't hurt either.

Edit: lol, just went to your profile and saw the pics of her. She looks more than big enough for adult mice or similar sized rats. Give one a try and see how it goes.

3. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

Sometimes I over describe things so I try to wait til I know the exact information needed lol.
    The thickest part around of her is just about the size of a quarter, and just about 28 inches long. She weighed 168 grams last Friday. I tried one of the smallest adult mice they had and it seemed way to big for her. She took way longer than usual trying to figure out how to swallow it, and after she did the lump made her about twice her size around.

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Very nice looking boa :) She may take longer on adult mice but she can handle them. In a pinch you can give your boa a couple smaller ones that equal about the same mass to get her by.

One of the biggest selling points for these boas (in my days) was that at birth they are pretty much ready for adult mice.

5. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

I am rather smitten with her. :)
    I ended up giving her two hoppers last night, she was definitely not happy with just one. After the second, she settled down in her warm side and seemed pretty content. I found a local feed store and I'm working on getting a hold of them for shipping and pickup.

6. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

Update
    Found a local guy with good prices and the right size. Problem solved. :)