This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding Issue

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by 09msstang, Mar 29, 2012.

1. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

The guy i got my boa from was feeding her live food now i cant get her to eat frozen or thawed food what do i do?

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

It's hard. Just keep at it. Keep offering. Move it around with a stick. Wiggle it, etc.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If I recall correctly you just got the snake and were insistant about playing with it.
    Put it in the cage and leave it alone for a week to settle in and then try to feed.

4. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree with Merlin. The little one needs time to settle into it's new surroundings. BRBs convert to F/T easily, in my experience. I had 3 adults (4-7 years old) who had been all fed live before I got them.
    I offered them a VERY warm F/T rat and they took it. If they didn't take it the first week, I waited a week and tried again. They all converted and never saw another live rat again.
    If your little one is refusing food, it's most likely due to the stress of moving and being handled so much AND/OR it could be going into shed...
    Leave her alone for a full week (if you notice she's in shed, wait till after the shed) and then try again, with a VERY warm F/T mouse and wiggle it in front of the boa with tongs. She'll take it when she's hungry enough.

5. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

Due to being sick ive left her alone completely because ive heard snakes can catch human sickness and dont want to take any chances, but tomorrow im getting her and gt new habitats because i swear gt has got an inch or 2 bigger in the last 2 weeks since we got him, hes ALOT fatter now anyway am i going to have to leave both of them alone when i upgrade them both? Im guessing i will i just want to make sure also since my boa is lighter in color how will i know she is about to shed?

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

When her eyes turn blueish. I would leave them alone for at least a few more days. It took most of mine 2-3 weeks of getting acclimated before they would eat. During that time we completely left them alone.

I would wait to upgrade. I'm trying to be nice, but holding them alot and already switching enclosures is going to stress them out more. They really need to be left alone for at least a week. Didn't you just get them? Then slowly start to hold them a little at a time. Then in about a month do the upgrade them if need be.

7. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

Well gt is pretty big now and mystic is still kinda small not to mention i dont like the tank mystic is in because the guy that gave me the tank said another snake died in it an put her right in it no sanitization nothing thats y im changing them i took her out of it an im keeping her in a plastic tub right now because of it and i dont like doing that