This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding Baby Sand Boa

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by GCsampler, Oct 15, 2010.

1. GCsampler

GCsampler Active Member

Hey there! I've had my baby sand boa for about a week now, and I don't know how to feed the baby mice, ive tried heating it up, but nothing, does anyone have any suggestions?

2. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

do you put it in a differant enclosure to feed it?

3. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Are you feeding f/t? How are you trying to "heat it up"? How big is the mouse compared to the snake? Do you know the last time the snake ate? What is your setup like (temps, tank, hides, etc)? Where did you get the snake from and what was it fed before?

If you can answer some of these questions, it will give us a better idea of how to help. :)

4. Jkbauer13

Jkbauer13 Elite Member

I have a brand new baby Kenyan sand boa as well and he will ONLY eat LIVE food in HIS cage. No frozen or prekilled and no feeding enclosure.

5. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

How big is your boa?

Also do you have an under tank heating pad for him/her? If not you'll NEED to get one.
    It's always best and safer for the snake to feed them in a seperate enclosure, as well as feed them pre killed/frozen food.

Since yours is young it will most likely need new born live pinkies. As the snake grows you can slowly ween it off of live.

Please don't use sand as a substrate. It usually causes nothing but problems for the snake.

Also once you find out the gender (which will be a bit) make sure you have the apprporiate sized enclosure. Males can be kept in 10 gallon and females 20 gallon.

6. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Appropriate*

Baby sand boas will usually only eat live food at first.

7. SSSnakes

SSSnakes New Member

My KSB is 4 months old - and has eatten day old rats from day one. He is now eating 2 per week. I put him in the deli container he came in with the feeders, close lid, put in enclosure on the hot pad and cover with the aspen.

However, I have heard that some breeders (not good ones obviously) let theirs go before they are established feeders :( Making sure the feeder is well warmed - that is why I put him on area where the heat pad is, thos small feeders loose temp pretty fast)