This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding Advice

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by SomeLizardsInABucket, Sep 9, 2017.

1. SomeLizardsInABucket

SomeLizardsInABucket Well-Known Member

So for nearly a year now I have had a ball python I got from a man who could no longer care for her. I have gotten her to eat for me once or twice, but for the last few months when I've tried to feed her she hasn't been interested. I've tried feeding her in a separate, dark tank and leaving the room for a while, I've tried live, f/k, and f/t but have not had luck. She doesn't seem to be loosing any weight, she's still active, friendly, acting completly normal. Except, she got a wound on her head from trying to get out of a glass enclosure, which I have since removed her from. She didn't seem interested in eating before or after the wound and it's almost gone now, but I wasn't sure if that wound may have been a part of the problem, I've never had a snake get hurt with me you see. I'm thawing out a rat for her now, so I would appreciate some feedback.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

As long as it's not losing weight, don't get too worried over it. Make sure the prey item is good and warm, some won't take it otherwise. Should feel quite warm in your hand when you pick it up. Changing prey species can also trigger a renewed interest in feeding. Like going from rats to mice or African soft furs or something. Sometimes it seems to just be a battle of wills. My personal best was 8 months, and I know another breeder who had one go past 18 months. It's usually a lot more stressful on the keeper than the snake. I would also skip a feeding or 2, feeding stress could be an issue.

3. SomeLizardsInABucket

Yeah, I have read stories of Ball Pythons going crazy long amounts of time between meals. The man I got her with told me a number of things that proved to not be true (said male, would eat live, is Mohave pewter morph), and I would like her to put on some extra weight. She is not thin by any means, but I would like a little extra weight on her. I'm extra paranoid because before her I had a normal who stopped eating for a long time and when our power blew in my room where the snakes were plugged into she ended up passing away. Probably wasn't just the refusal of eating, but still.
    I have to go get food for my smaller snake so maybe I will try switching her to something else.

4. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

How is this going now?

5. SomeLizardsInABucket

She still wasn't interested, but I was talking to a worker at the shop I volunteer at, and she told me some of the snakes there were picky and only took darker colored rats. I've been trying to give her lighter colored ones, and was reminded the rats she did eat were mostly brown or black, so maybe I'll try a new color. The wound on her head should be gone by next shed, so that's what I'm going to do I think.

6. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Well.....really. A racist ball python. OK then, I have now seen it all. LOL!!!
    OK, whatever works. Would love to see some photos of her, if that is her in your avatar, she looks really beautiful with that long stripe...maybe someone here can identify the morph if she's a morph.

7. SomeLizardsInABucket

She is, I have been told a few different things, but the one I trust most said she was like cinnamon pastel pewter, so some combination of those words. I'll try to get some better pictures of her later. It's really warm today, so I am going to try to take her outside

8. I understand the stress. My baby went 3 or 4 months without eating and what I did because his tank was on the ground and there was a very small dog constantly around, well I had read onling that they can starve themselves to eat larger prey and I was worried about the dog. I moved his tank higher up and a week later he ate. Also I have heard it could be a preference of male or female rats.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Total nonsense! The things posted online!
    That would make no sense at all in their survival.
    From your description it was far more likely that with the cage being on the ground and the dog running around, the snake did not feel secure enough to eat.

Darkbird and TamJam like this.
  10. SomeLizardsInABucket

The only animals that come by her are cats, but her tank, which is six or seven feet long, is on a tall cedar chest, so I don't think anything is bothering her. I took down the blinds I had because I think she wasn't getting good light. I don't know if that would contribute or not, but why I'm so upset is that she was the snake I got after my baby ball python, who stopped eating, died randomly. I really loved her and it tore me apart when she died. I just can't handle this one, Nagini, dying so soon after. It's been more than a year, but I just can't even think about loosing her.

11. SomeLizardsInABucket

I thought that too, that them starving themselves didn't seem true, but I have never had a snake of this size. She used to like to hide in the closet, so I tried feeding her in there but that didn't take either. She's been more active now that that the wound is nearly healed, so I'm going to try again soon. I've been sick with a chest infection lately so I haven't been able to get her a new rat, but I'm going to go out tomorrow

12. SomeLizardsInABucket

Just got the cage redone with more hiding spaces. Hoping she will like this better