This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding a Gravid Dumeril's?

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by EriksExotics, Oct 23, 2013.

1. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Hi. My Dumeril's is gravid, and that obviously takes a lot of effort alone. Should I continue to offer food until she gives birth? I know that digestion also takes a lot of energy so I don't want to harm her. Should I continue to try and feed her normally?

2. Sarandacotah

Sarandacotah Well-Known Member

I have no experience with a gravid boa, but to my knowledge: do not feed her. It could def harm her and the eggs. I could be wrong though so someone else will pipe in as well.

3. EriksExotics

Hopefully someone else can chime in. It's also killing my wallet trying to offer her food all the time, but I am 100% willing to do it if necessary

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I breed cornsnakes and I offer then food every week when gravid. They will need the energy from their food to lay eggs/give birth. Dumeril's have live births right? When they are huge I offer smaller meals because I worry that the eggs are taking up stomach space. Usually when they are close they will refuse to eat. I hope someone who breeds boa's will be along to give you more advice. Once she has had her litter/clutch then offer her small meals for the first couple.

5. EriksExotics

I hope someone with Boa experience sees this, too! And if the "when they are close they will refuse to eat" thing applies for Boas then mine may be close because she hasn't eaten in a while.

6. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I tried looking it up for you. From Jeff Roan's Columbian boa constrictor breeding manuel he says that he offers significantly smaller prey items once a month during the gestation period that are usually eaten, ceasing food availability one month prior to the projected due date to avoid compications. Hope this helps

7. EriksExotics