This Disappears When Logged In

Feeder Worms

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Mledwards123, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Mledwards123

Mledwards123 Elite Member

Ok so some info. I'm feeding my beardie(drako) dubia roaches. And I'm looking for something else to feed with that or to rotate out and a couple I read about that were good were horn worms and Silkworms. I've looked around and haven't had much luck. Can anyone help me by giving me a site for one or the other please. (also I currently am feeding phoenix worms)

2. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

Greatlakeshornworm.com is by far the best for hornworms. Mulberryfarms.com has silkworms, but expensive for what you get in my opinion. The hornworms are high in water content and low in fat. My beardies liked both quite a bit, but my water dragon refused the hornworms.

I buy the hornworms and extra dry food to cook to get them up to size. I also buy eggs sometimes to grow my own. I'm actually considering breeding them because of how much my beardies like them.

3. Mledwards123

Thank you and I've been thinking about breeding a feeder insect but I was thinking dubia roaches

4. DragonsKeepers

I breed dubias as well. It is easy to keep a colony growing. The important thing is to establish your colony while not feeding out much out of it. I've had mine for a year now and feed out of it daily for five of my herps easily because of how established the colony is.

5. Mledwards123

Ok well then a couple of questions. For a 14 inch hypo beaded dragon how many adult (1 inch) dubia roaches should I feed daily. And second what all would you recommend that start a colony. Tanks lamp anything and everything etc

6. DragonsKeepers

How old is your dragon? What does your dragon weigh? Rule of thumb - Baby 20% greens, 80% insects; sub-adult 9-18 months 50-50 greens and insects; adult 80% greens, 20% greens. I can hardly get my beardies to eat veggies, but they are always available. I gut load my roaches and feed hornworms for moisture too.

If you look at the pictures in my feeders album, you can see my roach colony. I will post a picture on here tomorrow, but am not home now.

7. Mledwards123

Ok well thank you :)

8. DragonsKeepers

This is the basic layout of a roach colony. The big dish had water crystals, the empty dish will have oranges and carrots later. The powder us ground meal, oats, high quality dog food, and vitamins.

This is all in a 35 gallon sterilite tub. I cut a hole in the top and hot glued screen on it. I have a bag of charcoal for the little smell there is. I use the lid piece on top to control humidity and airflow. The whole thing sits on a human grade heating pad.

Attached Files:

9. Mledwards123

Cool. So what kind of heating pad is it tho Cus that was going to be another one of my questions heat

10. DragonsKeepers

Sunbeam 732-500 King Size Heating Pad with UltraHeatTechnology http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FGDDI0/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_at_ws_us?ie=UTF8

That's what I bought. I also bought a big pack of egg crates from amazon because I didn't have many when I started my colony. I'm getting ready to split my colony for size reasons in the next month or so (I might start selling starter colonies locally for now). The bottom temp hits around 100 degrees whereas the top usually is high 70's. The breeders seem to stay in the low dark hot corners, midsized ones up higher, and babies scavenge through the bottom for food (mainly feeding on ground up grains and the poor from the other roaches).