This Disappears When Logged In

Feeder rat

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Jem_Scout, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I'm just looking for good rat food at a decent price....

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Have you tried a Farm and Feed supplier? Agway or the like.

3. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Yup, looked there too...they have stuff to feed every kind of rodent BUT rats! And the only food I found there that was close was mainly corn mixed with sunflower seeds and that's not good as a main food either.
    I'm waiting for a local feed store to call me today after their delivery guy comes and they are going to see if they can get some REAL rat food in for me :)

The stores sure do have alot of poison to kill rats though :( EEKKKK!!!

4. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

5. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Thanks Jay :)

6. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

7. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

That last links stuff is kinda pricey but thanks for the link :)

8. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Actually I thought at a dollar a pound it was less than the stuff at the big petstores which seemed to average $2.50 a pound.

9. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

True...but if I can get rat food at 50 or 40 pounds at 11.95, then I'll go that way...see what I mean? :p
    I'm cheap but yet I don't want to cheat the rats (or my snakes ) nutrition...

10. Becky

Becky New Member

Hey Jem-Scout, we have 3 rats and mix Mazuri Rodent Blocks (30-40 lb back for $11) with Ol' Roy dog food and the large parrot food you find at the feed store. We mix all of that together and it keeps them very healthy. This is what a breeder told me to do. You can feed the breeder rats whole grains such as wheat bread, pasta. I really recommend you to not feed the gerbil and guinea pig foods as there is just alot of waste with the small seeds and alfalfa. Rats cannot digest alfalfa and may actually get impacted. You can also give the mom rats yogurt and and fresh fruit(in small quantities as it may cause diarrhea) and fresh veggies such as carrots, potato. No lettuce, or at most a tiny fingernail sized piece, because it will cause stinky diarrhea. Eww.
    You can also give ice cream(small quantities) for calcium and the cuttlebone as said above. Rats can have chocolate and it actually boosts their immune system, just don't give them a whole bar of chocolate ;)
    Just so you're not keeping the rats on pine or cedar, all should go great. I keep mine on aspen and they do awesome. It's so much cheaper than the recycled paper junk or other substrates. As with keeping them in tanks, that's what I keep ours in. The wire cages are not good as it can give them bumblefoot. I know I certainly wouldn't want to walk on wire all the time. We have 2 male rats in a wire cage at my school (I'm a vet tech) and that cage is the biggest pain in the arse, especially where the bottom ladder touches the bottom of the cage pan. That's where they mostly go to the bathroom and the wire is actually rusting because you can't get at it to clean it.

Well anyway, I hope everything goes well with mom and the babies... And feeding them off... :)

11. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

I agree, wire cages are a no-no for rats, they can cause health problems with the feet, however a rat cage, with solid floors is ok. The same goes for all rodents - similarly wire wheels should not be used, as they can also cause feet and legs to be caught and injured.

Fresh fruits and veg are great for rats - i feed our rats commercial rat food 3-4 times per week, and a mixture of food stuffs such as fruit, veg, bread, cheese, meat, leftovers from our meals, etc 2-3 times per week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.