This Disappears When Logged In

Feeder Lizards?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by CassedyAthena, Nov 1, 2014.

1. CassedyAthena

CassedyAthena Member

I have seen things online where there are feeder lizards for sale. I plan on getting a Black Throat Monitor when I have a proper set up. I have been trying to find out as much information prior to purchasing the Black Troat, and I have read about needing to supply a varied diet and whole prey. I plan on breeding roaches, but I wanted to know if anyone had any experience, thoughts or opinions on feeder lizards. When I get the monitor I would like to feed them very few rodents, or other mammals.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

To be blunt, the cost to feed a black throat monitor on bugs and lizards alone would be staggering, mostly due to the cost of the lizards. There is also the issue of some of them getting to the point where they have little to no interest in smaller prey, like insects. Can I ask why you wish to avoid rodents?

3. CassedyAthena

CassedyAthena Member

I do not intend to avoid rodents completely. I just do not want to use them as a staple. I have heard that they are too fatty and can cause health problems. This may or may not be true, but it is something I think is worth considering. The diet I am considering, would consist mostly of insects, whole prey poultry, and maybe ground turkey. I have heard of a ground turkey mix diet that zoos use for Komodo Dragons, which I thought seemed healthy, and relatively economical. I am also considering breeding quail and rabbits. However, the rabbits may also be too fatty. I am mainly interested in knowing as much about breeding feeders as possible, specifically lizards because I have not heard very much about them as feeders outside of seeing that they are available, any information and feedback is appreciated.

4. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I know they very likely eat lizards in the wild (knowing monitors, they likely eat pretty much anything they can get their jaws on), but I'd be very leery of feeding lizards unless I was keeping a real obligate lizard-eater like a vine snake or something similar. I'm not sure what the percentage risk is re: parasites, but I'm sure there's at least some risk since I'd guess we're talking about some sort of common small wild-caught lizards. Anoles maybe, or I suppose house geckos? I think you're on the right track re: varying his diet with the insects, fowl, and rodents as it is. I also know some people feed fish and shellfish for a bit more variety, though I don't really think those are all that natural for a blackthroat.

What's the prevailing wisdom on the ground turkey feeding currently? I remember it being a kind of hot debate whether we should be feeding our monitors stuff like the SDZ turkey diet vs. 100% whole prey. Not sure where that's gone but I'm planning to look into it myself.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

If I recall, SDZ was developed to be used when other things were not available. It is workable, but nothing trumps a diet that matches what they eat in the wild. Variety is key. With a varied diet, I think SDZ would be okay, but not as a staple, unless other things were not available.

Feeder lizards are expensive, and will add up quickly, not to mention, their slower rate of reproduction compared to rodents...

Feeder snakes can also be had, but will have the same issues - expense. Many breeders sell off snakes that don't start eating, or display other problems that doom them to a short life as feeder snakes.

If you do take up quail breeding, the eggs are also good food sources, as would any fresh eggs - chicken, duck, turkey, which you may be able to get from local farms fairly cheap. Just another item to add to the list of potential foodstuffs.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Sorry, I didn't get back sooner, I'm not normally on much during the weekends. To answer you question about rodents, there is nothing wrong with them being a significant portion of a monitors diet as long as the monitor is given the proper living conditions. That means a good hot basking site, a nice deep substrate for burrowing, and a large enough cage for them to get some of their needed excercise. Please give this a read: Savannah Monitor Caresheet (Varanus exanthematicus)
    Yes, it not for v. albigularis, but savs and blackthroats are so similar that the only thing that is really different in their care is the size of the caging, with blackthroats requiring mucn larger accommodations. And as for the diet, a varied whole prey diet eliminates the need for the keeper to do any supplementation.