This Disappears When Logged In

Feeder Breeding Project

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by aromatherapykim, Feb 26, 2014.

1. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

So I'm considering starting a little breeding project in the next month or so to see the breeding process's for a few different feeders.
    I currently have a dubia colony in the works and a very small group of lobster roaches which have recently produced a few babies so I'm hoping that colony can grow and thrive.
    I have tried my hand a breeding superworms but I seem to only be able to get about 1/3 to half of my worms to pupate without dying and then I seem to lose another few pupa.

So my goals will be beefing up my dubia and lobster roach colonies
    Getting through a successful superworm process
    I'd also like to add silk worms
    wax worms
    and phoenix worms

This whole experiment will be done in my one bedroom apartment and I'm excited to see what can and can not be produced easily in a situation like this. There will defiantly be a lot of focus on keeping the smells to a minimum and keeping anything that flies safely contained.

Any tips will be helpful and I'll be glad to keep everyone updated along the way.
    It will probably be a month or so before I start this project due to finances.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I wouldnt even bother with the wax worms as they arent a healthy feeder.

For the superworms how are you getting them to pupate?

3. aromatherapykim

I have a clear tackle box and I put one super worm in each section.

The wax worms are best as a treat, correct?

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I prefer not feeding waxworms at all. There is no need to when there are better bugs to offer. But if you feel the need to feed them do so as a treat only.

When you seperated out the superworms did you still feed them?

5. aromatherapykim

no once they got into their individual container/section they did not have anything

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Add some oatmeal and a piece of carrot as it may take them awhile to pupate and they will need the additional food but once they pupate you can take the food out.

7. safftaft

safftaft Well-Known Member

I would really enjoy seeing how you colonize the phoenix worms. I accidentally started a small colony in my CWD's tank. They are constantly escaping but do not bite and breed really well. I'd like to know how to do this under controlled conditions though.

8. aromatherapykim

I have a half worked through theory right now for the phoenix worms.
    Give me another day or so and I'll explain.
    I want to start working out the kinks in my idea before word vomiting what's in my head. Haha

From what i understood it was the isolation and lack of food and water that forces them to pupate. Am i wrong?

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

In my experience its just the isolation that does it. They will still pupate if theirs food around.

10. aromatherapykim

ok all! I'm going to start getting supplies together this weekend to get this project started. My current plan:
    Wax Worms: I have a few quart mason jars and I will also pick up a few larger (gallon) containers. Poking some homes in the top for air and hopefully finding a good fine mesh at a hardware store to stop the babies from escaping. I have read that some people keep paper towels between the jar and the lid to stop this but other say the babies eat right through, so I'm going with mesh.
    I'll make a honey comb type mixture for the worms to eat and live in, i'll go into more detail about that later.

Silk worms: I plan to start with eggs so I will hatch them in the petri dish they come in and then move them to a tub where they will be able to grow. From there I plan to get a separate tub to move the cocoons to and another tub to move the moths to and then harvest the eggs. Again I'll go into more detail as we get closer to that time.

Pheonix Worms: this is still a struggle to figure out but what I'm thinking is I will get a large tub. Inside I will have a smaller container holding some mulch,compost. That is where the phoenix worms will go. On the other side I will add a ramp leading to a drop off where an empty tub waits to catch the worms when they self harvest. The black soldier flies will have room the fly and mate. I want to figure out how to cut a square out of one side of the tub by the empty harvesting container to open and remove it. I'm thinking maybe a hinge to have it open and close and then make an extra are with another removable door that can kind of be a holding area where I can move the container to and be sure there are no flies before actually removing the container.

Remember all these containers will be kept in my apartment so being sure there are no escapees is a huge priority for me. I will be doing any transfers, opening, interactions with anything that flies out on my porch just in case.

I hope my general plan makes a little sense. I'd love to take suggestions that anyone has on how to improve my plan!

11. aromatherapykim

Update to my plan:
    I have decided to roll this project out in waves going from most simple to most complex. That way I will be able to work out the kinks in each project as it starts up without being overwhelmed.
    So I started with my super worms. I isolated 24 worms in one of those tackle boxes/bead boxes with the individual slots. That was 3 days ago. A few are already starting to slow down and curl. I plan to pickup another container and get a second set of 24 isolated.

Next weekend I plan to put 4 waxworm jars together and then order around 100 waxworms (25 for 3 jars 20 for 1(I'm going to save 5 for Puff to try out)).

The silk worms I atleast have an idea of what I need and how the process will go. I plan to start with eggs so I can see the whole life cycle the first time around and that will give me a little more time to be able to understand how to manage moth breeding by the time I get to that point.

The phoenix worms, which I am determined to try, have been a huge frustration to me. I've searched all over trying to find people's indoor breeding attempts and everyone seems to not be able to complete multiple life cycles. My other issue is what substrate to keep larva in and what to feed to keep this reptile safe and healthy. I was getting very close to giving up my search and putting this project on hold but last night I came across a website and video of someone who has successfully kept a system indoors and with only 2 hours of supplemental lighting a day and has done this for 3 years. I will be following his plan!!!
    Anyway I am excited to get this project rolling and hope I can be successful with each lifecycle.
    As always I promise to keep my updates here, sorry this has been running a little slow, finances are tight :)

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would not even bother with waxworms. They should not be a staple but a once in a while treat.

13. aromatherapykim

I would absolutely not use the waxworms as a staple. I'm more curious about the lifecycle and breeding process of them. I figured if it's successful I'll keep 3 or 4 for Puff as a treat and sell the rest off on craigslist or something (and be sure that the buyer understands that these are a seldom treat)

14. aromatherapykim

I've been in the process of moving so the project has been going slow but I have had super worms pupating and got a lot of 20 out of 24 pupa and 19 beetles from that. Now we're in the waiting game for baby worms while I'm waiting for another set of worms to pupate
    I know wax worms aren't healthy but Im Giving them a try just to see if I can get a life cycle to complete. I put a sets of 25 in 2 different pint mason jars on 4/24. Its now 5/8 and I have 2 moths in each jar!
    I move Saturday and a few weeks after that I'm going to order some silkworm eggs and give that a try.
    This is exciting! I love watching my dubia and lobster roaches grow and multiply. Its nice to branch out and give other feeders a try.