This Disappears When Logged In

Fecal Exam Service

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by CRRL, Aug 20, 2013.

1. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

It sounds great and your rescue is great, but honestly I am the type to bring my herps to a licensed vet, with a good reputation. I don't feel like it's a safe to test and treat for parasites without seeing the Herp in question, weighing it and having the exact dose for him. Most people don't have a scale, and if they are not willing to go to a vet I doubt they would spend the money on a scale. What if there's more going on then parasites? What if he has an infection?
    Too many unknown circumstances for comfort.

2. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

There are also places where they are prepared like:

Store (All profits go to her own rescue in Oregon)
    - I have bought everything from Panacur to amox from this gal with great results. The medications from here are a basic arsenal for minor animal species.

And I have not used this site {yet} BeardedDragon.co
    (going to try ordering some seeds, some syringes, some of the bee pollen, alfalfa powder and fecal supplies - will let you know when they arrive)

They appear to have an excellent selection of medications - i know its says for bearded dragon but many medications can be used in other species. I'm sure CRRL can tell you which ones better then I can.

3. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

Not at all.
    Fecal exams are a routine monitoring technique and not a medical procedure.
    Any advice on treatment is just that, advice.

4. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

Then learn to do your own fecals.
    They are one of the most basic tests that can be done.
    A child with a student grade microscope and a little instruction can detect parasites.
    If you check routinely you can catch a problem early and get to a vet before the damage is done or your entire populataion is infected.
    I couldn't imagine having to "hope" there are no parasites in our animals. Or having to pay a vet for simple-to-do routine fecal exams.

5. mshrmheadcharge

I worked in an animal hospital, I'm familiar with fecals :).
    I guess you did not understand my concerns/hangups about the service. Never did I say it shouldn't be available. I don't think this is a replacement for a vet. You cannot get a full picture of what is going on with the animal by doing a fecal alone. That is concerning, what if the animal isn't healthy enough to be force fed meds every day? How will you suggest the proper dosage without an accurate weight?

6. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

mshrmheadcharge, I am not sure the idea is to offer this service as replacement. Its a service offered to simply find out if your reptile has a parasite. Then if it does you can treat on your own or take your pet to the vet. To get just one of reptiles checked for parasites its over $100. That is a lot to spend to find they don't. Especially since the vets don't do much with my reptiles anyway and I hear a lot of uncertainty from them. I seen 3 in our city and all of them claim to be reptile vets and all of them seemed to lack confidence and knowledge.

I think this is a great idea.

7. mshrmheadcharge

Again, I am not knocking the service, nor am I suggesting the idea is to replace a vet. Have you read and considered the concerns I have raised?

8. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Valid concerns with certain animals in certain situations. However, I think there are numerous areas where there simply is no reptile vet at all. Other situations where a simple fecal is enough on its own. For instance, in an otherwise healthy animal, knowing the parasite load, if any, can determine whether or not treatment by a vet is necessary. It seems like a very good cost saving measure and extra tool to aid keepers that was not available before.

9. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Being raised on a farm and around other farmers most of my life, I am familiar with formulating doses for animals by weight. Thankfully when I had to do same with dragons the store that TigerIVy posted about already has the fluids diluted properly and with the right siringes dosing is easy.