This Disappears When Logged In

Fecal Exam Service

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by CRRL, Aug 20, 2013.

1. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

Hello friends,
    We are considering opening our laboratory for Herpcenter members to get fecal exams for their animals.
    We have always done our own on a regular basis to assess our animal's health.
    We believe that people will be more inclined to have this very important test performed if it is easy and inexpensive.
    If you consider the cost of a vet visit and a fecal exam, it gets costly very quickly.
    We think we can do this by mail for $25.00
    What are your thoughts?

2. jarich

jarich Elite Member

YES!! Our fellow keepers across the pond enjoy this through a place called PALS and I was hoping someone here would do the same. I, for one, would appreciate a simple inexpensive service like this.

3. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

Thank you, that is great to hear.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I think this would be a great idea. Have you PM'd Rich about it?

5. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

No i haven't yet. I wanted to guage the response.
    It's difficult to navigate on the Kindle Fire. I will be back on a pc tomorrow.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I think this is an awesome idea! I have umm...12 or 13 herps (I lost count) that need fecals and there is no way I am going to pay for an exam and tests on each one. So I was working on saving money up and get my own equipment but for some reason that money always gets spent on something else...
    If I had a place that would test them all for rather cheap that would be awesome!

7. thinkbig317

thinkbig317 Elite Member

Phenomenal idea!!!!!

8. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

Along with this I have written a very detailed instruction guide on how to do your own fecal exams.
    It is not really difficult. I could give it to Rich to post for anyone to download if they want to give it a try.
    I would of course need his permission to submit it. Maybe a mod could let him know about this thread.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm assuming most of that cost would be shipping? fresher poo works better....

I do my own, otherwise I'd be all over this.

10. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

Correct, we are trying to work out the shipping costs.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Sounds like a good deal. My vet only charges $17 for a fecal, but I have to have an appointment (which is $45) so the total cost for one is more like $62. With 12 snakes, that could add up real quick.

Could make for interesting conversations at the post office.

12. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

Lol, can't wait.
    We are going to make it as inexpensive as possible.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Lucky! My vet charges $50 for the fecal but the exam is almost $100, $170 if its one of my tortoises (which is ridiculous as all they really do is weigh them and then stare at the darn things, at least a lizard they can poke the belly and act like they are examining them).

14. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

I would totally go for this! I used to be able to do my own until my niece decided to test my microscopes flight capabilities. Since then I've had to go to the vet.
    Do they look through a giant magnifying glass and say hmmmm... interesting.. ?

15. mshrmheadcharge

It would be awesome to have this as a resource. However, if a reptile ends up having parasites it will need to see a vet about medication. Maybe it will be cheaper since the fecal has already been done.

16. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

LOL!! I was waiting for this to come up.
    Please let me explain something. We are a clinical research laboratory.
    Very early on in our reptile rescue days we made the decision to take a look at all aspects of reptile ownership and develop ways to make it feasable for the average pet owner to take care of most problems on their own.
    Over the years with the help of veterinarians, scientists, researchers etc. most of these problems are solved.
    I published articles about everything that worked and I have them available to anyone that wants to learn.
    As you can tell by the proposed price of our fecal exams, we are here to help people make things easier and less costly.

Now back on subject.
    If your reptile has internal parasites you can treat it yourself with off-the-shelf pet store medications.
    The same drugs that kill worms in a dog will kill worms in a reptile. The question is one of dosage.
    Luckily, these drugs are very safe and will not harm your animal.
    They just have to be prepared correctly.

17. mshrmheadcharge

That's awesome, sounds like you've got it covered :)
    This would definitely be a good resource and money saver

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Lots of OTC de-wormers are safe for herps - Fenbendazole (panacur) and praziquantel come to mind.

I trust it is safe to assume you wouldn't advise the use of Ivermectin, and make sure people understand that it is to be avoided?

19. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

The treatments we use and share with others have been recommended to us by various veterinarians and carefully studied before we pass the information along. They are also confirmed when we do our own exams and have to treat sick animals.

We have no interest in harming someones animal.
    If you look at our website it is immediately clear that we rescue animals out of a caring passion for them and their owners.
    Our bottom line has never been out of the red, you have to rescue kittens to make a profit as a rescue, or get into some deceptive and shady practices. We will do neither.

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just out of curiosity,...isn't what you are suggesting considered practicing medicine without a license?