This Disappears When Logged In

Fatal Attraction

Discussion in 'General Venomous' started by hennisntacanibal, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I've been watching Nat Geo Wild lately, and I love it far more than animal planet! It's not as anti reptile as most AP shows are..In fact, Python Hunters is VERY educational and made by people who actually LOVE snakes! They are just aware of the everglades problem and try to make the situation more scientifically known to others. I can't imagine what the show would be if animal planet was in charge!

2. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

There is nothing wrong with Dobeys. I quite love them. But the fact remains that they have some of the most powerful (and therefore dangerous) jaws in the canine world. Beardies barely have an excuse for teeth.

3. Cyclura08

Cyclura08 Well-Known Member

to go along with the theme of public misconception, My landlord told me every time i came to look at my apartment before i moved in "ABSOLUTELY NO PETS OF ANY KIND!" and finally i asked him "well what about a lizard?" and he stopped dead in his tracks with a confused look on his face and said "oh...well, thats alright. People here have turtles too"

Just goes to show you that for some people, the idea of owning reptiles is so foreign and abnormal that they fail to even recognize their potential as pets, or even associate reptiles with the word "pet".

4. hennisntacanibal

It's true. My father is the same way. No way can we have a puppy or cat, but somehow we managed to bring in more than ten reptiles without his birthing a cow.

5. okiron

okiron Elite Member

Heh to be honest I think most "no pets allowed" places only count dogs and cats. I've never had an issue renting with my rabbits or rats either.

6. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I had issues with my rats, but since one was hairless it was fine.

i never bother to say that i have an iguana, i say a caged lizard when looking for a place they always are like oh thats fine... but i have a feeling if they knew it was a 5 foot ig in a dog kennel cage that it may cause some issues, but they can't say anything when they have caged lizard on my application.

7. chevyzilla

chevyzilla Well-Known Member

I personally have little to no use for most anything on Animal Planet. They have gone off the deep end in most cases and just don't do much for the animal world as a whole. As far as people having dangerous animals as pets no matter if it is a Rattlesnake or a lion, you are the one responsible. We are talking about wild animals, and don't hand me the perverbial **** about captive bred is ok they are tame. Ask the guy that got his throat ripped out by his TAME White Tiger. The point is it is in no way at all the animals fault in any of these cases. If we are going to choose to have dangerous animals of any kind as pets we need to be aware of the dangers and know that it is solely on us to be the responsible party or else just leave them alone,PERIOD. Nothing infuriated me more than the recent Brown Bear attack that killed the one man and mauled a few others near Yellowstone the other week and the tracked down the bear, did a DNA test to try and prove that this was the one and then proceeded to kill it leaving the cubs alone to have to go to a Zoo or something. Don't get me wrong i am sorry for the loss to the families, BUT, in my humble opinion what about the very STUPID people that chose to knowingly camp at the largest Brown Bear population in the US and you don't take any protection what so ever and when you are attacked it is the bears fault. Its as simple as this to me, when we choose to enter into the wild and be where nature is then we are in their home and if you can't realize that then stay in your living room where you belong. I keep a very powerfull handgun on me when ever i am on a hike and have had a bear encounter but still didn't even have to draw my gun as it is only there if it becomes absolutely necessary to do so. After all, i chose to go where he was. He was gracious enough to let me follow and get some pics of him. I never got closer than 20 yards to him then he went his way and i went mine. Never a need to kill him. Ill stop ranting now but these tv shows that paint the creatures in nature as terrible dangerous things don't realize that what is standing behind the camera is much more dangerous than nature but if you want to see just where you stand in the whole food chain thing then you might not want to challenge nature, it WILL win every time. By the way has anyone else seen the new 3 part series "Speed Of Life" that i think is on Nat Geo or History i can't remember. One of the best series' i have ever seen and recommend everyone here watch. It is quite breath taking to see what they filmed in a way you haven't seen before. I bet you will have a new respect for nature.

8. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I do support animal planets efforts to keep people from thinking tigers, bears, even snakes and lizards is a good idea, it isn't saying these animals should be banned it is stating how people think they are responsible, or that they have tamed the wild beast and got hurt because of it.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Yeah, when we first moved into these apartments, they were No dogs allowed. Cats were allowed with a $200 deposit per animal. I explicitly asked about reptiles, and they said flat out that anything that doesn't run around, pee on the carpet, scratch the walls, etc, they don't care about.

Some apartments don't allow fish tanks or water beds for various reasons (potential water damage if a leak should occur, or weight the floors can sustain) but those are understandable.

10. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

when i was looking at apartments some said they don't allow any reptiles at all but they said my room mate's rabbit would be fine (her rabbit that likes to chew on EVERYTHING)...not sure how that works

and i did catch some of the speed of life series, it was amazing. i highly recommend it.

11. okiron

okiron Elite Member

Oh yeah, I forgot about fishes. My apartment doesn't allow anything bigger than a 10 gallon. I hear people often try to get back at the complex by dumping their fish tank all over the living room.

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have a 46 gallon bowfront, and management thinks it's "beautiful". I recycle my fishy water when I clean the tank - makes good fertilizer water for my houseplants.

It currently has my Mississippi Map Turtle and a few fish in it.

13. hennisntacanibal

I'm surprised the turtle doesn't eat the fish.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

He's way too lazy. He actually does his mating ritual with the plecostomus too - shaking his claws, and getting all up in his face - it's hilarious.

the goldfish with him was originally bought to be eaten. It's been in there over 2 years now. He doesn't chase them, or even show interest in them. In fact, sometimes, when he is too lazy to get all the way out of the water to bask, and lays in the shallow bank of the dock, the other fish will come nibble bits of algae and other debris off him. He stretches out, almost like he enjoys it. I'm sure he's just trying to get a little more light, but he doesn't seem to mind them cleaning him. It's totally bizarre. He has always had tank mates, and never shown any interest in eating them - and he has been with me like that for 14 years.

15. hennisntacanibal

Wow. I wish our red ear was like that. Boy, off topic us! I saw a picture of a dead ratsnake on facebook that somebody had taken a spade to, claiming it was a rattlesnake. My heart died a little inside.

16. dragoness i may be wrong but i was under the impretion that goldfish should be avoided as a food item

17. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

I love the show python hunters but its still a new show I have feeling in the next few years it may become something like ghost hunters... Over dramatic! Im not talking bout the people on the show but the network turning it in to that...

18. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

I don't like the show Swamp Men(?) where they film these guys going around and shooting alligators in the head! It makes me sick to my stomach :(

19. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

Swamp men or swamp people to me is ok because they r hunting for food, and its not an endanfered animal

20. twilcox1313

twilcox1313 Active Member

its human nature to want to see gruesome stuff, why do you think everyone slows down on the opposite side of the interstate when there's a crash, everyone wants to see the blood the guts & all that..
    people that see these shows that do not have any pryer knowledge of a certain thing weather it be snakes, crocs, lizards, whatever, they are quick to judge, because there TV told them to BE WARE! STAY AWAY! blah blah blah,
    its because of these people were fighting to keep our pets, to show them that we are responsible keepers and we can educate the world about them and what they are and how they act and how we as humans are just the same as them no matter our differences, what happened to equality, does that stop at warm-blooded creatures or is it just man against nature, looks like were winning, cause were destroying every natural resource we've came into contact with since the beginning of time..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.