This Disappears When Logged In

Fat Tail Gecko is Sick.

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by Raylen, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Raylen

Raylen New Member

I work at a pet store and my responsibility is to care for, feed and monitor the animals. We have had an AFG for about four months now, and it did not seem very active from the start. The enclosure is only 5 gallons, with coconut fiber substrate (yes I know impaction is an issue and I am considering bark as an alternative for we have few options) and his humidity is at about 15%. His temp is about 80 during the day, 70 at night. Now that I have been researching the animals in depth, I have taken to spraying his substrate lightly every other day or so, though not the gecko directly. He is given 1-2 large vitabugs every day. I have noticed feces occasionally but it seems like he barely eats at all. I noticed about a week ago that his tail is very thin now and I have never seen him leave his hiding. I am seriously considering requesting a vet visit tomorrow. Any extra tips?

2. lisas

lisas Elite Member

I know nothing about fat tailed geckos, but in general, how about a parasite check? I think that you should request that vet visit, and bring a stool sample to be tested. Someone else will hopefully advise you on his setup and diet.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You need to raise the heat and the humidity. There should be a basking area of 88-90 degrees. Nightime temps should not drop below 74 degrees.
    The humidity should be around 50%.
    And the feeders should be no longer than the width between the gecko's eyes.

4. Raylen

Raylen New Member

Well I read in a FTG book that the feeders are supposed to be 90% of the size of the gecko's head.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not all pet "care" books are created equal. Some only serve as a glorified sales pitch.