This Disappears When Logged In

Fast Growing Low Light Plants.

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by clemsonguy1125, Feb 25, 2012.

1. clemsonguy1125

clemsonguy1125 Active Member

Im setting up a 4 foot tall vivarium and want one or two, large, fast growing plants that need little light. Being as tall as the vivarium is, getting light to reach the bottom is difficult, and as Im keeping either tree frogs, or a tokay gecko, it cant give of much heat. I can use a small light bulb but nothing much more, any ideas? Im going to have bamboo stakes going from the top to the bottom so vines are ok. Ive looked at pothos, but most plants ive see are about 40 bucks.
    Thanks

2. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Pothos are like... $4.

3. clemsonguy1125

4. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

We got a $4 one at Petco. When I bought it, it had like, four leaves on it. In two months time it took over the enclosure. I also got a HUGE one at a local garden store for $12. I had to split it into five plants.

5. clemsonguy1125

So they are that fast growing, could one grow 4 feet tall and about 2 feet wide in a couple months.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Pothos is a vine. You'll want to train it up some wood, bark, or sticks if you want it to grow upwards. Bamboo is also a good bet. Snakeplant is a very sturdy plant that seems to be very hardy. It tolerates (in my experience) almost any light level, lots of moisture, grows moderately fast, and will be totally climbable by your herp.

7. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I get my pothos at lowes for like $5-$6. I also have lucky bamboo. Im making the pothos grow up the fake vines in my tokay terrarium