This Disappears When Logged In

Fans on tortoise table, will that bother the tortoise?

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by replover, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. replover

replover Elite Member

Hi, I have a baby tortoise in a tortoise table type enclosure. The table is designed so airflow is great, but the room itself doesn't have much airflow, so I added an aquarium fan to the side. I made it so that the fan blows OUT instead of in, so that there is no wind in the pen, but air gets dragged out to allow better airflow. It seems perfect, and seems to bring the temps right on the cool side during the hot summer weather here.

However, the fan always has this sound. It is not terribly serious, but just a constant hum, like buzzzzzzzzz.... about the same as a running computer's buzz. Will this bother the tortoise or does it not matter?

2. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

I really don't think it will bother the tort,If you think it is stressing the tort out after a week or so turn it off but it should be perfectly fine.

3. replover

replover Elite Member

Ok thanks.

Actually, is it ok to have a light breeze blow IN to the cage? Will that bother the tort? Because today I discovered that the mid day temps were a little high. My friend told me that torts cannot tolerate any kind of breeze.

I can make it a very light breeze because the fan has a dimmer switch.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Statements like this always amaze me and makes me wonder where they got their information.
    Exactly where, in the wild, is there a place where the the wind never blows?

5. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I was wondering the same thing, Merlin. :)

6. replover

replover Elite Member

Ok so in summary, I can put a fan blowing inside, and it shouldn't matter, right? As they can handle a breeze.
    Are they sensitive to moderately STRONG breezes then? Do I have to keep it below a certain level?

7. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Keep it below hurricane strength and you'll be fine. My Russian Tort actually used to lift his head up INTO the breeze when he was outside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.