This Disappears When Logged In

False bottom for snake

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Rakoladycz, Nov 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

i was thinking of doing a false bottom Aboreal tank as a centerpeice type thing eventually but wouldnt it be to humid for a snake? and what about problems with mold?

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Why are you considering the false bottom? Do you plan on having a water feature?

Do you plan on using a natural substrate? What type?

No mold is usually not a problem in a naturalistic viv. And humidity can usually be easily manipulated through air flow, heat, and/or substrate. Let me know and I'll see if I can help. :)

3. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

i was planning on having a small rain feature that would drip from the top to the water not everywhere but maybe along one side for sound and visual appeal... and of course the snakes occasional dip and drinking(im trying to plan ahead with in the next year or so i want to get one of the burgundy colored Amazon tree boas).... I also figured this would possible allow for some of the water to drip on the snake if choose to so they can drink it off it's side like they do

4. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

How are false bottoms normally constructed? What's usually used for substrate and all

Any kinds of ideas or tips for making it. Also if i have the water constantly moving and a filter about how often would i want to change the water? if ever?

5. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

This is a false bottom I did for a setup last year. The general idea is there. http://home.comcast.net/~1gen/false_bottom.htm

For your setup your going to want to plan very very well. To have a pond feature simply slope a peice of the eggcrate down onto the bottom and cover that, then you have a bank for your pond. I can dig up some more sites that will show you some better examples.

The substrate depends firstly upon the animal and then upon the plants, if any. You definately want a 'wick' layer, i used expanded clay pellets. As for water changes it all depends on the setup and amount of water as well as the filter.

6. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Can you explain the "wick" layer to me? Im also interested in looking at those other sites you said you have.

7. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

The large orange pellets, those are aliflor/terralite/expanded clay pellets, and another whole bunch of names. These work real well to keep a moist underlayer and nonsaturated soil which would cause a real mess.

Ummm I can't find the specific site that had the example I wanted to show. You can try a google search or check out some dart-frog forums. The gallery at dendroboard.com should have some examples or at least lead you in the right direction. If you still don't have any luck, I can give you a complete rundown of what you'll need.

8. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I just got to thinking if i do a false bottom i will have to depend completely on lighting for heating wouldnt i? and i cant find a site that is thorough enough that i feel i am understanding the basics completely but i will try to talk to you more about that through pm/im Chronic

9. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Heating can be achieved through a few techniques. One is a fish tank water heater, internal or external. If you warm the water you should warm the tank. However the amount of light usually needed to grow the plants provides sufficient heat, unless you are using Fleuroscents. Theres really no rules, as long as it is functional and safe. Some people take it to the extreme with multiple lights and heaters simulating a natural day cycle with sun rise and sun sets and temperature fluctations.

Feel free to pm me or email me. When I get back to apartment after this weekend I can send you all the bookmarks I collected researching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.