This Disappears When Logged In

Fake Rocks

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by missamoe, Mar 14, 2011.

1. missamoe

missamoe Well-Known Member

wanting to make my own using styrofoam, tile cement and mod podge or a similar sealant...

Will this hurt my dragon? Is it safe? If not are there any suggestions on what i could use?

2. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Sounds okay to me. I don't have much experience with mod podge, but I have heard good things about the outdoor kind since it is non-toxic and water resistant.

For the rocks/tree stump I am making, I am using sand free tile grout and then coating it with aquarium silicone. Then, while the silicone is still tacky, I am rubbing it down with a little craft sand to take away the slick surface and to make sure the sand is embedded in the silicone for safety purposes.

3. missamoe

awesome thanks! i was kinda worried but it seemed like it would be fine.

4. missamoe

I was thinking along the same lines as the fake rocks, my dragon loves to drink from moving water and such, would it be a terrible idea for me to make him a little waterfall? not big enough to drown in mind you, but for him to come and drink from?

thoughts?

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No. it will raise the humidity too much.

6. missamoe

okay thanks!

7. Brownman

Brownman Member

I use plaster of paris, it sets hard and fast it also takes paint like a champ so you can give your rock a custom look instead of just the color of the grout.

8. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

You can also paint grout with no problem, just get the white or grey grout, and use acrylic paint to add the detail. Grey grout will give you a great base color to start with if you want to paint it.