This Disappears When Logged In

fake rock wall

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by goldrockin_froggie, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldrockin_froggie

goldrockin_froggie Well Established Member

I did a search on this forum but didn't find what i was looking for. I am interested in making a fake rock wall for my snakes. I have those styrofoam inserts you get from packages that are differently shaped and i bought some cement compound, i thought about using this and forest floor bark and it just might work. But anyone have any different links or ideas of materials used for different approaches?? thnks

2. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

I do my backwalls with styrofoam as well,and I think that's the best thing to do fake rocks.And it's fun!! You can use acrylic colours for coloring them.Good luck!
    Send some pics when you finished?

3. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Hey Diggy, you have several different options. Let me list some.

Mossy Backdrop
    This method uses a substrate of your choice to make the backdrop. It is usually made of a base of expanding foam and sometimes foam sheets. The foam is then covered in silicone and the substrate is pressed into that.
    example

Mortar Rocks
    This method is the same as above except mortar is applied instead of silicone and substrate. The mortar is the product used to secure floor tiles. Companies also sell a 'quick dry mortar' which is supposed to be entirely inert and pause no dangers to fish or herps, nor ever break down. I've only heard bad things about using the floor tile mortar from people that sell 'quick dry mortar.' I've tried this method and don't really like it, it cracks easily and takes a few coats to touch up.
    * I cant find this example but its a very simple process, just make the structure and coat it in Mortar.

Epoxy Rocks
    This is by far the best method in my opinion. Create the rock structure out of foam and then paint 2-part marine epoxy onto the foam in several layers. In the last layers add substrate (for texture) and dye (for color).
    Example 1
    Example 2

Concrete Primer
    This is the second best method, it is similar to the product flevopool that Europeans use in their vivs. I build the structure out of foam and then mix substrate with the primer in a 2 to 1 ratio. I use Ace Concrete Primer and Bonding Adhesive. The paste is then spread onto the foam heavily and allowed to dry.
    Example

4. goldrockin_froggie

5. goldrockin_froggie

Here it is in the cage and being inspected:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

that looks really cool how did u go about putting it together i might wanna do somethin like that for my leos.

7. goldrockin_froggie

find a piece of strofoam that comes out of packages, i used cement spackle and then sprinkled dort rocks etc on it to taste and served.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.