This Disappears When Logged In

Fake Plants from Michaels

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by mikeyp03, Mar 17, 2013.

1. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

So I'm heading over to Michaels today to get some fake plants. I've already went once, to get an idea of which plants I'd use, but I noticed that the fake plants have long "stems".
    I'm wondering if anyone has used these plants, how you have "mounted" them in your tanks.

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

The stems of fake plants have wires in them to hold the plants up. So if you want to trim them off use wire cutters. There are many different ways to mount them inside. If you want to hang them you can buy suction cups and wire them in.
    If you want them free standing I saw a neat idea. You need a bag of river rocks(gravel from your driveway works too just wash it good in soap and water) and a tube of silicon or caulking(not the mildew resistance stuff that gives off toxic fumes)
    Silicon the rocks around the base of the stem and the plant should stand up.
    I just put them in my tanks the way they are. I do attach some to branches.

3. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Thanks, that does help!
    My enclosures are wood, so the suction cup idea is out lol.
    But I like the idea of just attaching them to the branches I have in there now, and for the ones that are too far from the branches I might try the support rock idea.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I just bend the stems around the branches I have and then silicone in place. This also works for attaching to wood walls.

5. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I used leftover 2" thick insulation board as the main base, drilled/plunged some holes in it, stuck the 'stem' of the plants in and covered the based with colored concrete. Done and done.

6. brooksy

brooksy Elite Member

You could zip tie them to objects in the tank, this way you can move them around versus siliconing them to another item. I sometimes hang mine from the screen or wire lids, if I want hanging plants.

7. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Yea I do want to stay from anything somewhat permanent like silicone(I know it breaks up pretty easy). So far I've been able to just intertwine them in branches and themselves.

Soon I want to put some on the ceiling of the enclosure, kinda like they're hanging. So I'm thinking maybe staples, but if I have to I'll use silicone for this.

Thanks a lot for all the ideas!

8. Great ideas. I will have to try that.

9. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

This is what I've done and it works well. I got my plants and vines at Hobby Lobby. They have a 50% off sale every 2 weeks and it seems to go back and forth between plants and vines being on sale.

10. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Thats funny that you just posted to this thread today...I'm about to leave for Michaels to get some more plants! lol

11. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

for what animal are you adding these plants and where in the enclosure do you want them? Sorry if I missed is somewhere

12. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

They're for my JCP's enclosure. I pretty much want to fill up the whole enclosure though, so its a complete jungle in their and his "hides" are literally in the plants.
    This is it so far(I didnt get a chance to go to Michaels today)
    The enclosure is actually bigger, so there are more plants, but this is the best picture I have so far with the most recent addition of fake plants.
    _MG_7566.jpg

13. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

A little hard to see from my phone but it actually is looking really nice!

14. Turner

Turner Elite Member

I know this is about your plants and set ups, but youre snake is beautiful :)

For the plant parts. I recently added some fake plants to my corns tank. She's in a 10 gallon at the moment bc she's still so small, but I found it a lot easier to stick the plants throught the lid grating (bought ones with wires inside) and just bent them around themselves into basically a knot at the top against the screen. I didnt cut them either so all the wire was still contained inside so she wouldnt cut herself if she decided to go up that high, so far as I've seen she hasn't. I have caught her a few times laid completely stretched flat out across them relaxing haha.