This Disappears When Logged In

Fairy Shrimps

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by skipjacktunafish, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

Conchostracans are rare in my part of the world. Only saw a few from a few samples, sadly.

Do you ever do stuff like Caddisflies, Stoneflies or water mites? Water mites are actually quite cute.

2. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

What do you mean by "doing" stuff?

I generally avoid keeping animals in aquariums in my house that mature into winged insects. I also dont "DO" mosquitos, midges, or dragonflies.

I have had predacious diving beetles show up, but I remove them so they dont eat the inverts I want. I also had scuds from some plants I collected in a pond, but they took over the tank and I had to do a dry cleanout to get rid of them.

Currently the only "pest" I keep is ostracods. I have seen a group of them attack and kill adult fairy shrimp. They only became a problem when I put new fairy shrimp in the tank without draining it first. Normally they dont show up in large numbers until the fairy shrimp and Triops have died.

3. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Thanks for all the links, Dan! I'm saving them!

The birdbath tip is great -- I'll definitely check out what is living in ours!

4. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

yeah, plus alot of the bigger guys liek trichops can wreck the day of smaller stuff. By 'do' I mean 'ever keep, study, look at etc'.

5. Thanks for all the information on this thread. It's fascinating and I have really learnt loads. I found half a glass of algae in a plant cutting that i done ages ago so put some of it in with the shrimps.

Sadly i found 'Terry', my Triop dead Sunday night, i have no idea what happened but he was upside down. He had grown a fair bit over the past couple of days, in fact in one day he seemed to triple in size - maybe i too overfed him? :confused:

[​IMG]

I had another sachet of Triop eggs so i threw that in the water and already i can see a new one.

The Shrimps are getting quite big now, is it possible that they might lay eggs at all? Are they hermaphrodites?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See that pinky creature to the right of the pic with the one eye - what are they? There are hundreds of them in the tank.

[​IMG]

6. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

Im pretty sure thats a Daphnia.

7. Ah i thought the transparent ones were Daphnia. Thanks for letting me know.

Clare

8. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

Daphnia are generally clear or the color of the food they eat. Im just guessing. Perhaps a pic from under your microscope might help the identification.

This is pretty much what a Daphnia looks like. This is a different genus- Moina

[​IMG]

9. I don't have a microscope yet, but i did look in Maplins this morning for one. I'm interested in getting the usb one like you mentioned in your previous posts so will have had a quick scour of the internet.

The only thing i can think that they may have eaten that could have turned them pink are the Prima fish flakes i crushed into the water for the shrimps.

Thanks for the picture - though it has made me itchy now :)

Clare

10. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

Dont get the one I have. The price has gone up recently, I think I paid about $70 for mine and Ive seen it for as much as $199.

Take a look at this one, it appears to be a "real" microscope with a usb camera attachment. This is the microscope I wish I had.

LiveScience Store: Ultimate 400x Digital Microscope

11. That looks really impressive, I imagine the pictures would be very good quality too.

Will have to look for a dealerin the UK though as the shrimps etc would be long gone by the time it arrived from the US :D

12. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

640x480 is standard webcam quality, which Ive never considered "good", but its good enough for the price. With a "real" eyepiece you may be able to rig a way to hook up a regular digital camera and get high res images.
    I would always look for a local dealer to save on shipping, but once your critters die, drain the water slowly with a piece of air line so it doesnt suck up the substrate. Dry the substrate for a week or under a light until it is completely dry (or wait until your microscope arrives). Then add new distilled water and you will have a whole new set of shrimps, most likely more than the first time.

13. Hello again Dan, can you tell me what the average life cycle for triops are - in two days time mine will be 6 weeks now but seems to be thriving on 'tubifex' fish food. I shall miss the little fella (Zilla) when he goes.

All my shrimps died sadly but i have a massive colony of seed shrimps that i am going to keep going to feed to the fish.

14. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

I dont know what the average is, but I believe the maximum is somewhere around 120 days. I imagine I usually get about 60-90 days for mine.

I just had a clam shrimp die after living at least 123 days. I collected him wild as an adult and he died 123 days later. I only wish I had a pair.

Heres a pic the day before he died.
    [​IMG]

15. Hi and thanks Dan, thats good the little fella still has a fair few days left.

Wow nice picture of your clam shrimp! Shame you didn't have a pair to breed from - 123 days from adult, is that a long time for clam shrimps? Sadly, although it said i might I never did get any clam shrimps in my 'triop' pack but have thousands of seed shrimps, they have never seemed to die off. In fact every time i look in the tank there seems to be more! Do the seed shrimps just eat algae?

Can i just say many thanks for your knowledge and help :)
    Cheers,
    Clare x

16. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

I don't know if its a long time for that species, but the other species I had only lived about 21 days, so it seems that 123 days is a long time comparatively.
    Seed shrimps increase in numbers after the other vernal pool creatures die off. Im sure seed shrimp eat algae, but I have also seen large numbers of them attack and kill fairy shrimp. As long as nothing else is growing in the tank, ostracods will continue to reproduce until there are thousands of them. Also they can double their numbers in a matter of days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.