This Disappears When Logged In

Fairly New to Reptiles

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by MissSix, Nov 24, 2014.

1. MissSix

MissSix New Member

Hello!
    I have for a long time been interested in reptiles, as most of my family has kept various kinds of herps (including a gator).
    I think my biggest worry is nutritional needs, after reading about all the problems that can arise when they are not met.

I'm the sort of person that likes to spoil their pets. My tarantula gets a light brushing around her legs once a week to help clean where she can't reach. My rats practically free roam.
    Now my anole is getting a lot of money spent on him as I try to make his life as good as I can.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Welcome to Herpcenter - It sounds like you have the right mindset for this hobby!

What kind of anole do you keep?

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HerpCenter.
    There definitely is different levels of care when it comes to reptiles.
    For crickets eaters I'm sure most just buy them, dust them once in a blue moon and then dump them in for dinner.
    Whereas you really need to make feed the cricket a nutritious and balanced diet to ensure that is passed on to the reptiles.

There are many good writeups floating around the internet about reptile nutrition.
    To me the most complicated and likely misunderstood is the use of UVB lighting and vitamin D3 powder.
    But things are always evolving in reptile care as we continue to learn from our mistakes.

4. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Welcome!

Would like to see pics of your anole and setup, pics are pretty popular around here.

And I agree, nutrition has to be a concern, especially with insectivores (and herbivores). Our snakes and large lizards that eat vertebrate prey don't seem to be as demanding.