This Disappears When Logged In

Faint Popping... Visited the Exotic Vet.

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Zerp3D, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Zerp3D

Zerp3D Elite Member

So, recently JoeyG posted about hearing a faint popping noise from one of his snakes. Just for curiosity sake, and that I recently purchased Leia, I decided to do a routine "caregiver" physical exam. After a full check up I came to the conclusion that she was in the base stages of a respiratory infection. I took her to the exotic veterinary around my place. The doctor came to the same conclusion as I, and prescribed Leia two different antibiotics.

During the actual visit, I was told Leia was overweight!? She is 216g, and I'd say about a two and a half feet. What do you guys think? The vet didn't rub off on me the right way. I'm not quiet positive I want to return to that specific vet. She was suggesting a warm side of at least 100, and a cool side of at least 85-90 (Not during respiratory problems, but as an average day-to-day temperatures). She was also suggesting that Leia has neurological problems; which I have NEVER seen a single sign of from her (No stargazing, no clumsiness, nothing). I personally feel as if this vet was trying to rank up my bill.

Any who... It's been about a week since I first noticed the popping, and today she started to sneeze and wheeze. Luckily, I already have the antibiotics; I'm dosing her every other day with one, and every seventy-two hours with the other.

I hope everyone is well!

Namaste,
    Zerp

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Good luck with that... do you know what might have brought it on? Mine came to me with it but if yours is already on meds it shouldn't be getting worst... :confused: the weight I think is fine IMO and the temps do seem high under normal conditions but good for an RI. What meds are you using? Good luck with it though, it does suck to have them get sick :(

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Ya you'll find "exotic" vets who have no idea what they're talking about. He/she probably doesn't know what a healthy ball python is supposed to look like. I keep trying new vets without a ton of luck, basically the one I go to now is the least crappy option

4. Midori

Midori Elite Member

This makes me feel extra grateful for my vet. Good luck if you go looking for another vet.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

My vet is atrocious but she is the most experienced vet in her practice and her practice is the only "exotic vet" around. I have even had the vet techs and the vets themselves tell me they dont know what could be wrong with my animals as they have never seen any that big. All they get are the babies. Especially when it comes to my cwd-everyone is so amazed that they grow over a foot long and that they turn green instead of stay brown. Several workers still call him an iguana and refuse to believe that cwds turn green.

6. JoeyG

LOL! and yet they are the "pros".... I said it before but the one Vet that said she had "experience" with exotics and could handle my chondro got her attached to her fingers to the point where she teared up and they forced her of with a pen breaking her teeth :mad: Takes special people to handle exotics, thank goodness I found an awesome one.... just pricey

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Oh mine is pricey no doubt about that. Her accountant and I have gone at it quite a few times.

8. JoeyG

LOL! This is why I'm taking tips from the pros and trying to learn it myself

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That's usually best.

10. Zerp3D

Zerp3D Elite Member

Pricey is an understatement. What sort of certification do they need so they can title themselves "exotic" pet veterinary? *Rolls eyes* That title is the reason for those above average bills. In my case, I spent a total of $250 on anti-bio and cultures :); they wanted another $350 to have x-rays done:mad:. When the vet asked if I'd like an x-ray done, I courteously laughed and replied, "Not at this moment". I don't need to leave the vet with a five hundred and fifty dollar bill. Nuh-uh, no, thank you! Of course, the most important is to get anti-biotic, and begin treatment. With that said, this is "Leia's RI Recovery Regiment":

Anti-Biotics
    Ceftazidime (.06cc / inj) every 48hrs.
    Amikacin (.03cc / inj) every 72hrs.

Home Remedy
    Nebulizing every 7 days {MAYBE, Haven't recently because popping has stopped completely}

11. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Sounds like the vets trying to Rob you.. Sadly a bunch of random and expensive issues will come up when you go to some vets because they'll try to suck you dry. Go to another vet

12. EriksExotics

My vet is great. Experienced, smart and I trust him with my animals lives.

13. Zerp3D

Zerp3D Elite Member

Yeah, I had an interesting time at this location. I'm not sure I could make the same comment as you,
    I couldn't say that confidently after my experience at this place. On one hand, the vet tech was--, but on the other hand, the vet herself was a gold diggin' doctor. How many vets did you have to go check out before finding the one you have now?

14. Zerp3D

Zerp3D Elite Member

That's how I felt.

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Five hundred is nothing. With Tai's last vet bill was well over $1500 and all I paid for was materials (bandages, meds, etc.) I didn't actually pay for the vets times once she caused all the issues. I still have $150 left to pay on that too.

16. Zerp3D

Zerp3D Elite Member

:-0 Oh, my! That's insane! Vets seem to cause a lot of issues, or aren't capable of healing the problems. Best situation would be to have a friend that is a vet, that can diagnose and prescribe without the medical bills. The surcharge for dispensing materials is ridiculous. :mad:

17. EriksExotics

This was the first reptile vet I went to. Basically... If you find a vet that doesn't recommend a 100° hot spot, and doesn't say "hmm... His scales look too round. That'll be $500. His eyes are too black... Gimme $600 more" I think you'll be good. Just avoid the vets that are trying to take all your money. They make it pretty obvious when they are... If you go to a second vet, and you get the same diagnosis' you'll know it's true. Most likely he just has an RI and that doctor sucks.

18. Zerp3D

Zerp3D Elite Member

That's what I was thinking of doing. I'll continue the routine I'm on now (cause it seems to be going well), but I will take her to see another vet in the near future.

She has been showing signs of recovery. No more popping, wheezing, or sneezing. Though, she never had a wheeze/sneeze louder then when I'd put her face up to my ear to listen closely.

19. JoeyG

The thing is that other then the antibiotics the husbandry is the most important thing. Just keep it hot and provide clean water constantly. Even after you think it recovers, keep a bit warmer the normal for a little bit.

I have an awesome vet I normally go to but she's getting more expensive :-( culture was 175 alone and even just for her to talk on the phone cost 2.50 a minute!!! I mean really!! If I can get access to supplies I think I can do most things, its just getting meds that's the problem.

Glad to hear your snake is improving!

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Over the years (a LOT of them! LOL!), it has been my experience that if you do not feel comfortable with a vet, there is a reason.