This Disappears When Logged In

Failed, happily!

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by BlackJack, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi everyone!
    Well I gave in and bought Talyn's boyfriend. As expected the pet store guy was a real jerk. It took everything I had to stay polite, get the snake and get out.
    The BRB seems VERY thin to me (compared to Talyn). I know males are generally smaller but I don't think this guy was being properly cared for now that I was able to take him out and hold him. They've fed him 2 medium sized MICE every two weeks!!!!!!! I think they were just trying to save money. I feed Talyn 2-3 medium RATS every two weeks!
    This guy is going to need lots of TLC and some gradual increases in his calorie intake. I'll have to buy some really small rats to start with and just feed once a week for a while and see how it goes. I'll take in the first stool sample I can get and have it analyzed. I hope he doesn't have worms too.
    He is CB, 6 years old, and otherwise seems in quite good shape. He seems to have a gentler temperment than Talyn, but I can't be sure yet. He's very long: I'm guessing 6ft and a bit less than 5 inches in circumference at his widest point. His spine sticks out quite noticeably high on his back. I have not seen any visible mites, but I am going to assume he has them and go through the mite treatment routine: changing his container and substrate daily.
    He's beautiful and deserves better care. I've read that you shouldn't get a snake because you feel sorry for them, but other than being so thin, he looks OK. At the moment, I'm going to consider this my first "rescue".

We haven't decided on a name yet: "Skinny" is the only thing that comes to mind when I look at him right now. But I don't want to call him that.

Here he is:

Attached Files:

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Congrat's, he's a stunner!!

3. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

he's awesome! i'm sure he'll look even more beautiful once you get some weight on him. :)

4. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Talyn and the new guy are sure going to make some pretty babies some day!! :D
    After the mess you went through with mites, I think a six month quarentine would be a good idea myself...
    Man, I don't even want to see you (or me!) go through that ever again!! What a JOB!!

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Awesome Andrea,,,,,good luck and congrats on failing the 12 step program
    "My name is Andrea,,,,and I'm a herpaholic"

6. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

You got him!! Congratulations! Can't wait to see how he and Talyn get on after quarantine. He's beautiful, good luck with him :)

7. Ofsthun

Ofsthun Elite Member

What kind of boa is he again I know it's BRB but I'm having difficulty with so many shortened names right now that I can't think straight. I think I want one of those cause they're beautiful.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And none of us saw THAT coming now did we? :rolleyes:
    Oh noooooooooooooo! ;) :D
    He looks pretty good, albeit a bit skinny. However he still has that nice irridescence that is a good sign of health in boids. I have no doubt that you will get him fattened up in no time! And when you get Talyn and him to breed you can always have Baxter over to visit and have one of the babies mysteriously hitchhike home with her!

Yep I'm an instigator from waaaaaaay back! :D

9. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Congrats, hes a beautie, hope all goes well for you with him :D and im sure Talyn and him will do just great together :D

10. Baxter

Baxter Member

Congrats Seastore,

He is beautiful! I think a few months of decent meals and he will be back up to a healthy weight. Talyn sure has a handsome man in the next room!
    Be strong about the quarantine, now! Talyn needs the time to recover from surgery and this skinny thing wouldn't have a chance with her right now anyway.
    I'm jealous - it seems so easy for you to come home with more and more snakes. "I want...I have!" Amazing!
    Baxter

11. BlackJack

Thanks everyone. JemScout: I will probably take your advice on that. I'm going to re-read my desperate posts about the mites anytime I think he's ready to come out of quarantine early!
    I just need to find a bigger plastic box for him. It's a bit cramped in there now.
    Oops! Yay! He just left me a "smelly" but nice-sized present.... I can get that stool sample sent in today!!!!!!!!!! :D
    What a great guy! (It took Talyn 5 weeks till she left me her first "sample"!)
    Fingers crossed that it comes out OK!

12. BlackJack

Sorry Dubhead; I forgot to answer this sooner. A BRB is a Brazilian Rainbow Boa.
    These are wonderful medium sized boas: maximum length is about 6ft and they don't get very thick. They can be somewhat tempermental: Talyn has gotten much better but can still be nasty. (She bit me last night -- let's see that makes 5 in the last 4 months... most were my fault though!)

They are FANTASTIC eaters!!! I've NEVER had one refuse a meal. In fact, (I KNOW I SHOULDN'T HAVE, BUT) I offered the new guy a 30 gr. F/T mouse this afternoon (just one day after bringing him home) and he snapped it up so quickly that I screamed! I gave him a 28 gr. mouse after that and he didn't hesitate to take that one too! I'm going to see how he does on those and offer him more in a week. Then I'll try to get him converted to rats... (I don't expect any problems there either, though!)
    And yes, they are just beautiful animals!

I think we've decided on a name... we're probably going to call him "Q".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.