This Disappears When Logged In

Fact or Rumor?

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by piedbald77, May 18, 2013.

1. piedbald77

piedbald77 Member

I am by all means not getting this as a beginner snake but I have some questions:

1) Is it true there aggressive is there hay way I can combat this if so?
    2) What specific requirements do they need that make them so hard to keep?
    3) Are there any good websites, books or YouTube channels I can get good info from?
    4) What are their bites like?

I think that's about it I will post any more though if something comes to mind. Thank you for your advice! X

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2013
  2. VaranusDragon74

VaranusDragon74 Active Member

What are you referring to, what type of animal??

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

1) There are some more "aggressive" then others. They all have their personality, but they will bite you if you're not used to handling sensitive snakes. they're nocturnal and don't care to be woken up usually, they require great patience to be taken out. Best not handled at night because you're almost certain to be bitten :D Coming from a breeder is the best chance of getting a calm one.
    2)High humidity and more stable conditions. When young wont do well under anything but ideal temps and humidity. Most set ups get expensive to be done properly and they will die or get sick when too many mistakes are made. More intelligent the other snakes IMO making then a little more challenging to work with.
    3) MVF forums in one of "the best"!! sources of info with some of the best recognized breeders around. Also Greg Maxwell's "the more complete chondro" is like the bible of the chondro world. Got from ebay for 60 brand new! :)
    4) Have yet to be bitten but don't really care to find out ;) My female bit a Vet who "thought" she had enough experience handling snakes. Came out of the carrying bag (after she told me I didn't have to get her out) with my snake firmly clamped to two fingers and refusing to let go. After a few minutes she began to lose her professionalism when it really started to hurt and my snake was PRIED of her fingers.

I still contest that there is not a more beautiful snake in this world then chondros (IMHO). For some one with a bit more experience or when you have some more time in the hobby I highly recommend one! They are and absolute joy and a beauty to simply watch. Incredible display animals!

4. piedbald77

piedbald77 Member

Green tree pythons

Thanks joeyG great advice

5. justor

justor Elite Member

They do have some pretty impressive teeth. I wouldn't want to get tagged by one lol.

6. JoeyG

Attached Files:

7. justor

justor Elite Member

I rest my case lol.

8. VaranusDragon74

VaranusDragon74 Active Member

Once again, that skull is of an Emerald Tree Boa.. GTPs have regular sized teeth, like a Red-Tail or Ball Python..
    For the most part the rarer locales are usually calm, or easy to get calm over time. Biaks, as anyone will tell you, are usually the meanest *******s alive, but some can be tamed.. I don't suggest them, to new herpers, but if someone is dead set, my suggestion is a Jayapura, or Sorong locale... Like it was said earlier, a breeder is the best place to get calmer GTPs (or a highly respected reptile shop).. A carpet python is a great training snake, for future GTP keepers, and are just as gorgeous (especially the morphs)..

9. JoeyG

Actually they don't. Its well know that though they do have smaller teeth then emeralds who have the longest, gtps do in fact have long teeth due to their arboreal nature. The belief that they use it for birds is where the mistake is. Its believed their arboreal life has adopted them with such an arsenal since they may have less opportunity to catch prey. If you don't believe me you can open my females mouth's to see. Though they may not be the size of some large pythons for their size they infact have longer teeth in comparison. Also tempers do exist in other types outside of biaks though they often are more touchy.

10. piedbald77

piedbald77 Member

A carpet python is a great training snake, for future GTP keepers, and are just as gorgeous (especially the morphs)..[/QUOTE]

Why are they good prep snakes for the gtp? I'm getting ball python before any othernsnake

11. justor

justor Elite Member

Because they are relatively similar snakes, at least much more similar than ball pythons, but they are not quite as difficult and are generally more forgiving to husbandry errors. Plus they are not going to try and eat your face lol. You could essentially treat them like a green tree python, with a few husbandry tweaks (lower humidity, ground level hides), to prepare you for the more specific requirements of the gtp. Being comfortable when it comes to handling a carpet python will make the green tree python less intimidating. Confidence is very important when you are interacting with a green tree python, and carpet pytyons will help you build that confidence with less risk of taking a bite.