This Disappears When Logged In

Fabric or Reusable Substrate?

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Herefishyfishy, Jul 5, 2013.

1. I just got my first snake, an anery brooks king, and currently he is settling in on packing paper. I would, however, like to upgrade once he's comfortable to a more visually appealing substrate as well as something he can nestle into.

My big thing is finding something that is environmentally and financially responsible, so I was wondering if I can create some sort of fabric 'chips'; basically create many tiny strips/pieces of fabric that act like aspen that he can burrow into and I can simply scoop the soiled bits out when needed and do complete changeovers once every few weeks. I would hem these to stop fraying, then soak and wash the dirty pieces when necessary.

I haven't found any websites where people have tried this, is that because it is a staggeringly bad idea? Currently my brooks is in a divided tank so I could feed him on the empty side with just paper to avoid him ingesting the fabric.

I'd appreciate advice or even suggestions of other reusable substrates (I've already been advised to avoid reptile carpet). I think my alternative to this would be shredding newspaper so he can burrow and then I am repurposing product instead of wasting it.

2. Releep

Releep Elite Member

I would use newspaper and get a hide and put moist sphagnum moss in that for your snake to bury into

3. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

I cant see any problem with it. I don't think that anyone has used it before because it seems like a hassle. Moreover, I don't entirely know how well it would keep the humidity in or how it would function as a substrate overall. There can't be any harm in trying it out though, if that's what you really wanna do.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not sure who you were talking to but reptile carpet is fine. You need two pieces so that you can wash and dry one while the other is in the cage.
    The problem with the fabric is it will grow mold and fungus.
    Personally I use aspen.

5. As I live in central California, I think our ambient humidity is sufficient for a king, and I'm planning on investing in a closed-bottom hide (some pot/bowl I can knock a hole in) that I can put moist moss in for shedding. The key to avoiding mold with fabric would be keeping it dry, I think.

And yeah, for $4 I can get a yard of white flannel diaper material and line the entire cage so it is worth a shot, I think. Thanks for the input!

6. Hm, I guess the advice I was given is that because the carpet is one single piece, you can't spot clean the way you could with aspen or my idea for fabric pieces. It also harbours bacteria, but I guess that could be said for fabric as well. I would obviously soak the material in a diluted bleach solution and then run it through the wash with vinegar, no detergents. As long as I keep it relatively dry in the cage, there hopefully won't be too much mould.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would seriously advise against this. There is no way that you can keep it dry enough not to be an issue. Between the snake eliminating as well as moving in and out of the water bowl it is always going to be damp. Its just not worth the risk.
    Stick with the tried and true substrates.