This Disappears When Logged In

F/t Rats Questions

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by SammieLee, Nov 25, 2013.

1. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

I have not attempted to feed our ball python yet.. I was wondering what do I do with the rat if he doesn't eat it? Can I refreeze it or is it just trash? Also best way to thaw it? How do I know it's warm enough? Thank you!

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

They say you can freeze once if it doesn't take it, I personally don't. To thaw them out I simply leave it out for a few hours on feeding day or use warm water to help it along but mine are in bags so I always try to keep the rats dry. After it's thawed completely while still in the bag I use hot water and let it sit there a few minutes till it's hot to the touch. I know some people use hair dryers or putting it under a heat lamp or something like that. I just go by feel and the ones that take frozen have no issues with it. Good luck!

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Some use hot water to thaw, other leave them in the fridge overnight, I've even set them over the basking fixtures of my lizard setups. Just don't use the microwave or anything, it can get messy. And yes you can refreeze once. I've also tried thawing in hot water with the item still in the bag to keep it dry but the bags almost always leak. The idea is to make sure there are no areas inside the prey that are still frozen, and that it up to rodent body temperature, as in it should feel warm when you touch it. If the snake seems reluctant to take it, a hair dryer or hot bulb can be used to give it a little extra heat, ive also had success running the rodents head under hot water.