This Disappears When Logged In

Eyes opening/Question

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Jem_Scout, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

The first batch of babies are just opening their eyes. A few have them both eyes open already. Do you guys know if I can start to handle the two little ones that will be going to homes instead of being feeders? I want them to be used to people before they leave but I don't want the momma rat to kill them when I put them back in with her.
    How do I do this the right way? I want them to be safe.

PS They were born Sept 20.

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

I would say it is safe to handle them now, after all they are over two weeks of age. They should have started wandering away from their mother and getting their fur? - don't over handle them just yet, as they still need to be with their mother until they are weaned in 2-3 weeks, but there shouldn't be a problem.

And rats are friendly animals anyway - the more you handle them now doesn't neccessarily mean they will be the tamest of rats when they are older, and vice versa, if you don't handle them now it doesn't mean they won't be tame when they grow up. We got 4 of our girls when they were 12weeks old, and they weren't the tamest, 3 of them are now so sweet (one does still not like to be handled too much, but she has attitude problems :p ).. the other 2 we have had since they were born, since 2 of our 4 mothered them. One is such a sweetie and prefers to be handled over eating yummy food! :D The other is friendly but no where near as tame. It depends on the individual.. :)

Ok, enough of my boring stories! :D

3. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Well, the momma rat is a very good Mom and lets me clean her cage and move her babies over so I can clean around them too. I could pick her up and cuddle her before she had her babies but I don't dare try that now with her being a 'mom'. Too much stress on her right now.
    They are starting to move all over the tank and Mom isn't liking that too much! lol She's such a worry wart and tries to keep them all together.
    Yes they have their fur and most look like Siamese cats...very cool colors!
    I'll pick the homebound babies up a little bit everyday so that they get a little bit used to people. I just love watching them try to jump/hop at each other! They are so CUTE! :p
    Yes, I want to keep one of them but NO I can't...I'll be in divorce court if I do! LOL:p

4. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

LOL you can't just keep one though.. :p
    Oh dear, our animals are all addictive! hehe :D

The mother will be getting very stressed with her babies running off every where - can you imagine having 10 kids all running off around the streets where you can't control them or what happens to them??.. she's just a normal mother :) But it won't stress her if you handle her, in fact taking her out now and giving her a little time away from her babies every day will be good for her and will give her a few minutes rest from them feeding from her and trying to suffocate her with their constant needs :p Just take her out and give her a cuddle or let her have a run around the room, she may choose to go back to her cage on her own, but she may enjoy the peace and quiet for a short time. :)

5. PugLuv83

PugLuv83 New Member

Yeah, you are fine to hold them now.

Hey Jem, just curious as to where you are located... I love pics of ratties with that pattern!

6. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

In Wisconsin....did you want a Siamese looking baby rat? They are SO cute! :p
    I wish I had a digi camera...:(

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Hey, when you give those two rats away, make sure the people getting them know that they should have a pair of rats. Rats get depressed if housed alone.

8. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

They both own rats of the same sex that they are getting :) thanks

9. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

As others state, start handling the babies as soon as their eyes are open and they start exploring. The only problem we ever have is with some of the moms. They are overly protective and will eat your hand off if you go near their babies.

Attached Files:

10. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

All the first batches eyes are open...they are so dang cute, I can't stand it!! :p
    Yes, I'm keeping one male to be a cagemate to Captian Mac...he's getting loney now :(
    The mom is ok with me touching them...she just gets mad at the babies 'cause now they are all over the tank and won't listen to her! LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.