This Disappears When Logged In

Eyes Cracked?

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Bowski, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Bowski

Bowski Active Member

Noticed this last night, while I was playing with her.
    Looking for diagnosis and how concerned I should be.

I took this photo a few minutes ago
    Ill try and upload a better one
    2yodh77.jpg

Her other eye is similar but not as "bad"

At first I thought it might be a thread or some form of debris,
    so I gently brushed each eye and concluded it is not the case...

I am upping the humidity, but looking for advice on further course of action.
    (its normally between 30 and 40% in the hot zone of her tank during day cycle, controlled by ZooMed HygroTherm)

I am concerned because it does not look like the normal cloudy hue that one would expect from an upcoming shed.
    and it almost appears discolored in some places.
    Her last shed was all in one piece and lasted from 11/7 to 11/14 (noticed eyes were cloudy - to full unassisted removal)
    I don't think its a leftover eyecap from her last shed, because I made sure that her eyes were clear

anyone ever see anything similar?
    advice?

2. Bowski

Bowski Active Member

fp2vyg.jpg

Note the yellow at the top of her eye is the second light I had shining on her...

but that doesn't look right... :/

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Have they shed recently? Looks like stuck eye caps to me. Use the pillow trick. Take a warm damp towel put it and the snake in a pillow case then place the pillow case on the hot side of the cage and leave for several hours. Snake will wiggle around and scrap the eye cap off. Some people even leave them over night. Don't wrap the snake in the towel though they need to be able to move easily.

4. Bowski

Bowski Active Member

The more I research this, the more I am second guessing whether or not it is stuck eye caps.
    I was about 90% sure she took them off during her last shed (about a month ago)

but then again I did not look at her shed from November 14th (approx 1 month ago)
    when I cleaned her skin out of the cage.
    [on a side note, it is a good idea to inspect the shed for the eyecaps... I will do this in the future]

and thinking back to earlier this week,
    I didn't notice she had this on her eyes until I fed her on Friday (4 days ago)
    Im not entirely sure when exacly the developed this condition,
    because I've been sick for the past week and didnt really check on her

But I did not notice this last friday when I previously fed her
    on the 29th and 30th of November (1.5 weeks ago)

tl;dr
    does/can a stuck eyecap look normal post-shed? or should it be blatently obvious that they're still on?
    because her eyes appeared normal post-shed until about a week ago

In any case, I upped the humidity last night to 50%,
    (I would have gone higher but I'm running low on distilled water for my humidifier,
    and none of the stores have it atm)
    I will give a her a bath when I get off work, and then try the damp towel method...
    I'll let you know how it goes

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It's not a retained eye cap. What you are seeing is common in ball pythons and is the result of the humidity being too low. 30-40% is too low. You want to aim for 50-60%.
    Give a good spritzing with water and it should go away.

6. Bowski

Bowski Active Member

Thats a relief.
    I'll let you know how it goes once I get home from work.
    Thanks Merlin

7. Bowski

Bowski Active Member

Update:
    I upped the humidity to 60%,
    and have been putting wet paper towels on top of the mesh to suppliment the humidifier
    Her eyes are not completely clear yet, but they do look much better
    she should be fine in a few days

thanks for all of your help everyone!

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

sometimes the "crackled" appearance can last until the next shed. As mentioned, your snake should be between 50-60% humidity all the time, but it should be slightly higher during shedding (I usually aim for 75%). You can place wet towels over any screen parts of the cage, and tape foil over other parts to help keep the humidity in. For some of my problem shedders, I usually take a wet towel, and drape over their favorite hide, and keep it moist until they shed. It helps a LOT.