This Disappears When Logged In

Eye Problems

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by TitoAndKatt, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

What exactly can you do to help with an eye problem caused by excess UVB anyways? :confused:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Katt, here goes: It`s like "snow blindness" that you can get if you don`t wear protective sunglasses in the snow. It`s superficial damage to the cornea ( surface of the eye) and usually doesn`t cause permanent damage,although if you can see any damage to the eyelid you need to see the vet. It should start healing within a couple of days ,as soon as you remove the light. ( I take it this has happened when he`s escaped from his tank? You MUST stop that happening!) Keep him away from getting right under the lamp. Hope that helps.

3. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Thanks.
    No it is not from him escaping the cage. Tito has been quite happy with is new hammock. :) The problem is with poor Tut. :( That Lizard has every problem imaginable! I was using a fluorescent light given to me by a friend to establish a day/night cycle because I leave my lights off during the day while I am gone. I learned afterwards that it was a UV light and have since removed it (I did not use it very much at all). However, tut has an eye infection now. I am not sure if it is from the UV (Galileo was under the same light and is perfectly fine, but I know albinos are more sensitive) or from something else. I know I need to get him into the vet pronto (I am having multiple issues with that right now) but in the meanwhile I need to do everything I can. :(

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yep, your best bet is to turn the light off and see if he heals. Leos don't need UVB, so just use a regular house bulb for a day/night cycle on a timer.

5. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Ya, I am just leaving my bedroom light on now instead. It's not like that costs any more in electricity than the plug in hood lights haha :rolleyes: One eye does look a little better today, so that is good at least.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Give him a couple of days, if there`s no noticable improvement, see the vet, but hopefully he`ll be fine. Can you use an infra-red bulb? these are quite cheap, and don`t give off much light,

7. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

She needs the light that's the thing, for day and night.

good luck. Id be surprised if the UV light caused an eye infection though, if so your lizard would be dead in the wild! Don't they hide most of the day? then the light wouldn't be on him anyway? And if it was an old uv light from a friend the UVB is probably almost gone or gone anyway, unless they gave you a new expensive bulb they just had laying around.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If it`s an infection of the eye, it wouldn`t have been caused by too much UV. exposure, but why are the lights needed day and night?

9. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

it stresses animals to be in a constant day or a constant night. Like people don't like to sleep with the lights on, leo's don't like sleeping with the lights off

10. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Like Kendalle said, they need a regular Day/Night (or Light/Dark) cycle.

And Kendalle: Tut actually doesn't spend much time hiding anymore strangely enough. :confused: It very well could be an infection from something else though (although if he lived in the wild he would be dead anyways as albinos have a harder time blending in and therefore make easy targets lol). I am trying to work out a deal with my roommate to bring him into the vet for me. In the meanwhile I am feeding him Carnivore Care and I found some Sterile Saline for his eyes that should help. He has gotten very used to handling with me taking him out to feed a few times a day. :) Last night instead of having to fight him (gently of course) to open his mouth for the syringe, I barely touched his mouth and he opened up wide as he could...and Held his mouth open until I fed him! haha He looked like a little baby bird! :)

P.S. any advice on transitioning him from the Carnivore care to solid food? I tried feeding him a meal worm and later a cricket but he spit them both out...

11. schlegelbagel

Ugh, I didn't realize the one having problems is an albino. I know giving albino pacman frogs even a 2.0 UVB bulb can cause blindness, that's why its so important to make sure they get their supplements. Hopefully you caught it before it was too late.

Try squirting some of the liquid diet in with a cricket or mealworm. Spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down.

12. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

He opened both of his eyes!!!! :) I have not seen one of them open in several days! The sterile saline and removal of the UV light worked well it seems! :D Woot Woot!

13. schlegelbagel

Great news!

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Kendalle, you misunderstood!! I thought YOU had said he needs the light on day and night!? ( Quote) "She needs the light for day and night, that's the thing" ( Maybe we should start again!!)

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Katt, that`s great news, I thought it would improve after a couple of days, you have to be sooo careful! ( It`s very worrying though!)

16. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Sorry worded that wrong.

17. kritrdr

kritrdr Member

I'll add my $0.02. We have been seeing problems with various UV bulbs over the last 12 months. Some of the lights are sending out very strong amounts of certain UV wavelengths that have been causing keratitis of the corneas of various pets. (Irritation and inflammation of the corneas) Specifically birds and reptiles, I've seen it with an African Grey and 2 water dragons. The cure (if it is only keratitis) is removal of the light and soothing eye drops (artificial tears) if this problem worsens after removal of the light then it usually is an infection/ulcer/etc. and needs to be checked. If the problem is resolving (it sounds like it is) then discard the bulb and replace it. If you want more information on this and other info on UV lights see: UV Guide UK - Ultraviolet Light for Reptiles - UVB reptile lighting on test

Dan

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Dan, finally we agree!! ( I knew we would, sooner or later!!)
    You have to be so careful these days, many of the lamps are much more "powerful" than they`ve ever been, and as we both say, it`s always best to get the vet`s advice asap.
    Stefan

19. schlegelbagel

We have been finding out that many of the compact florescent UVB lights, higher than a 5.0 are giving many, many problems. Thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.