This Disappears When Logged In

Expanding Foam Accessories

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Kazooguyz2, May 15, 2011.

1. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

I'm sure that most everyone hear has either seen or heard about the Magnaturals feeding/watering/hiding sort of things. I was thinking about using the Great Stuff expanding foam and making my own. I have access to a bunch of old computer hard drives that I can rip about and get the magnets from. I was thinking of just using a small/medium plastic box as the mold. I could use plastic sample cups to make the holder part in the actual mold or cut/carve it out afterwards. When the Stuff is dried, using a Dremel or Exacto knife to carve it into a more natural shape. Seal it with acrylic sealer (matte finish so I can paint it afterwards) then painting it to look similar to the Magnaturals. Should I be concerned about toxicity after the final coat of sealer has been applied? Or should I use something else to seal it with after painting? All input will be greatly appreciated.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Nope, acrylic sealer is what you want. Dries non-toxic. It's the oil based stuff you have to worry about.

3. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Every time I cut dried GS I wish I hadn't. The smooth contours look so much nicer than the cut areas -which are porous. I use styrofoam and toothpicks, or chopsticks, to create the base form then have at it with the GS.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Did you ever have a hard time trying to get the grout to stick to the Great stuff!
    I think my problem was that I was inpatient and didn't let the GS dry all the way through and after I grouted it, it shrunk and then would just crumble off! Oh well, we learn from our mistakes!

5. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

It is most likely that the trouble with the grout was caused by the quantity of water in your mix. I hated that experience!

6. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

GS does go through two stages of shrinkage. I have had the experience and seen it happen for myself a few times. Waiting a week or two after you apply the foam allows it to enough time. Not sure an exact time as I am busy and they sometimes just have to sit. Within 2-3 days, no good.

Although incorrect ratios could have also been the cause.