This Disappears When Logged In

Exo Terra

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Rango13, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Rango13

Rango13 Active Member

I was thinking of filling the whole top section with rock wall, plants, tree limbs, and whatever else. I believe the top section is 4x5x161/2. thats 2 more feet than he has now in height and 3 1/2 feet more in width. i would rather it be 2' deep but it is only $50 and i think its a pretty good start. I see alot of people that have they're babies/juvies in a much smaller cage i.e. 55-90 gallon. I'll keep looking for better but worst case I can make this work I think.

2. Rango13

Rango13 Active Member

Oh and its solid Oak. Not the cheap pressed wood.

3. zippy2013

zippy2013 Subscribed User Premium Member

which is good ecspecially when u need the heat to be kept in :)

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I think that would work fairly well. The hardest part is to find a water area that will fit.

5. Rango13

Rango13 Active Member

Yeah I know. Being wood it's not like you can just fill it up with water. Or maybe someone on here has if so I'd like to hear how they did it without leaks . And now to top it all off my little guy hasn't ate in 4 days. I am now feeding him with a syringe with greens ground up with baby food

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Was he eating well before this? Is he shedding?

7. zippy2013

zippy2013 Subscribed User Premium Member

you could always get a cut out pond of some sort. and make an enclosure fit around that way. he could be shedding like thala said he could be shedding. they don't eat as much while in shedding or right before it

8. Rango13

Rango13 Active Member

Seems like he was eating ok but not like a pig. I think he might be shedding also. He is very dark and looks wrinkly. Thanks for the temp/humidity gauge tip. Replaced them yesterday and found my old ones were 20% lower readings so the humidity had been good all along. He runs from me now but that's prolly cause I am feeding by force with syringe. I'd run too.

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You should stop force feeding at this point it is doing more harm then good. They will go a long time between meals sometimes and you have to be able to figure out why they stopped and then how it can be fixed or whether it is something you need to wait out.

If he is shedding he may not want to eat so give him a week or so. As long as their activity level remains the same, food is available to them, and they arent losing weight then let them be.

10. Rango13

Rango13 Active Member

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Have a pic?

12. Rango13

Rango13 Active Member

Thanks for all your help Thalatte.

I think im just gonna leave him for a few days. He is hiding a lot more now, but we've been getting him out twice a day for the last couple days to feed him. I will get you a pic as soon as he feels comfortable with being out from under the Pothos plants.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That's a good idea.

14. Rango13

Rango13 Active Member

Shedding. Only half of his tail though. Is there something I can do to help this process?

15. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

I would give him a couple days, to see if he will shed out on his own. They shed in patches a little at a time, not the whole body at once. If the shed does get stuck then you can try soaking him in warm water, or use a commercial shedease soak. You can also rub a little mineral oil on his skin.

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Mineral oil may help but for the most part you just leave them too it. He should be soaking alot more now and that will help.

17. Rango13

Rango13 Active Member

Cool. Thanks. New cage upload coming soon.

18. Rango13

Rango13 Active Member

Rango still wont eat and acts totally afraid of us. We have left him/her alone for the last two weeks other than cleaning water and spot cleaning cage. Ideas anyone????

19. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

Time and patience. Remember, he is most likely a wild caught reptile. His only experiences with people so far have been frightening and traumatic from capture and shipping to people tapping on the glass at the pet store. How and what are you trying to feed him? Try to offer a large variety to see what interests him. Make sure that temps, humidity and enclosure size are all appropriate.

20. Rango13

Rango13 Active Member

We've tried everything from waxworms to fruit. He was eating fairly well when we brought him home 3wks ago. Started to shed last week and has stopped. His tail is the only part that shed. Temps are 70-78 on bottom and 80-85 on top basking at 90 humidity stays around 75-80. Enclosure was a 10g and now is in a 40g soon to be in a custom 4x4x2 (not done yet lol). I'm almost positive he is getting skinnier.