This Disappears When Logged In

Exo Terra

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Rango13, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Rango13

Rango13 Active Member

Hello everyone. We purchased a baby CWD ( I believe) it's about 3" body only. I have setup an exo terra 18x18x24. All furniture is fake ie branches, vines. Substrate is coconut husk. Water dish is 4x4x2. I have both mister and humidifier but the humidity will not stay in the 70's. what else can I do? Oh I am about to cover the top with plexiglass. I have wet towels on it now.
    Thanks.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The plexiglass will help immensly but make sure the lights dont sit on top of that. Plastic wrap will also work. You should get rid of the coconut husk though as that will cause eye inffections. Instead get some sphagnum moss-not only is this better on their eyes but it will help with humidity. Next is you really shouldthink of upgrading his tank soon. They need alot of room.

What size enclosure are you planning for an adult enclosure?

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, what are the ambient and surface temps, and what type of thermometer/hygrometer are you using to measure them, also, can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure, including the heat/light bulbs? Thanks!

4. Rango13

Rango13 Active Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes I plan on building an enclosure once he is juvenile size. 6x3x3 prolly.

5. Rango13

Rango13 Active Member

Right now I can maintain 80 at floor level and up to 90-95 at top level where he basks on a limb. I'll try to upload photos tomorrow. I am using 2 temp/humidity combo units. One at the top and one on the bottom.

6. Rango13

Rango13 Active Member

Update on size of dragon. Snout to vent 2 1/2. Total length 8 1/2.

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

the combo units you are using are they dial or digital?

8. Rango13

Rango13 Active Member

Dial. Uploading photos now.

9. Rango13

Rango13 Active Member

image.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The dial units are junk. They can be off by like 15% and get worse over time. Plus you have no idea what the basking temperature is.

It would be best if you could get a digital unit with a wire probe. They can be found at walmart for about $12.

11. Rango13

Rango13 Active Member

Ok. Thanks. Did you see the pics yet?

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I did. It looks very nice thought its kinda small.
    You should look at adding more climbing things. Try to take up all the air space.

13. Rango13

Rango13 Active Member

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Many people state that being in large enclosures when small stresses them out but thats just not true. In the wild they arent born in small boxes and only come out when they feel ready.

With cwds change is hard on them so the less often you do major cage changes the better they are which is why its best to start them off in large cages if you cant get the adult cage done first. Plus having larger cages means less chance of them getting bored and harming themselves when trying to escape their box. My male cwd has severe snout damage and he broke off parts of his tail from being in too small of a cage.

15. Rango13

Rango13 Active Member

I c. Well thanks for the advise it is much appreciated. Looks like I gotta get started on a bigger cage.

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

If you cant do an adult cage immediately I would suggest either a 55 or a 90gal at the least. these are easily found on craigslist for really cheap. Or look at solid wood furniture you can repurpose.

17. Rango13

Rango13 Active Member

How bout this? It's 6' tall 5'wide 161/2 deep image.jpg

18. zippy2013

zippy2013 Subscribed User Premium Member

I think that would work. :p

19. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

The height and width are good, but the depth is too small for an adult cage. Although in the meantime, you can help to maximize the depth by lining it with something the dragon can climb on. I used foam rock panels for the back of my enclosure, and I believe there was someone her who was using some kind of netting or mesh.

20. zippy2013

zippy2013 Subscribed User Premium Member

u could get an exact size match and just combine the 2. just cut out one of them and put a piece of plexiglass for it. and im using a paint that has a grip texture on it with a lattice and vines on my walls to help with climbing.