This Disappears When Logged In

EXO Terra temperature monitors question

Discussion in 'Heating' started by replover, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. replover

replover Elite Member

I just got two of these Exo Terra temperature monitors. The type that has a dial (not digital). I notice it came with a round double sided tape to put onto the glass etc. and in the middle of the back, there is a metal knob. Does it detect the heat from that metal knob? Because it seems that my heat source may be heating the plexiglass more so than the air inside that area per se, and I don't know if it is the heat on the plexiglass that is being measured or the actual temperature of the air.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

I would suggest dropping $10 at Walmart on a digital thermometer. Those radials can be off by as much as 10 degrees even if they are monitoring the ambient and not the surface temps.

3. Mark

Mark Elite Member

I prefer these dial types to the digital readout type but you have to take care in using them to get accurate readings.

All of the thermometers I have pulled apart have the needel set into the clear plastic bubble part. By rotating this clear part you will actually change the readout calbiration. All of these need to be calibrated but that is easily done -- place them all in the same place with a thermometer you know is right. I usually use a traditional stick type thermometer like you would find for a fever or a frier/candy thermometer. After having them all on the counter for about an hour make sure they all read the same.

Dials have to be placed correctly. Think about getting into a car which had been sitting in the sun for the day. The dials act like a greenhouse and will show artificially high temps if in direct light.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.