This Disappears When Logged In

Exo-Terra Products...Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by __Leo Gurl__, Sep 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. __Leo Gurl__

__Leo Gurl__ Elite Member

I'm just wondering about some Exo-Terra Products and if they would be good for leos or not. I already got conformation that the glass terrariums are good for leos (18x18x18). But I'm wondering about some of the other products that I can use in the cage.

First thing is the Waterfall, also if I am to get that...I might want to get the fogger, but I am not certain. Are those ok? Here's the page to the waterfall
    http://www.exo-terra.com/EN/products/water_falls_i.html

Also, I'm wondering about the Water Well...is that good for leos?
    http://www.exo-terra.com/EN/products/water_well_i.html Here's the page for that.

Next is the reptile dens. On the box they have leos inside of the den, but I just want to be reassured about them. Here's the page. http://www.exo-terra.com/EN/products/reptile_dens_i.html

Last but not least, I need to know about their "Heat Wave" things. (Basiclly uth with a diff name) Which one would be better...the desert version, or rainforest version? I'm thinking desert because that's where they are from...http://www.exo-terra.com/EN/products/heat_wave_desert_i.html here's the page.

Are there other things that I'd need for the cage? (not counting substrates, water bowls, food bowls, hides, decor...I got that all covored)

2. __Leo Gurl__

Oh and if they are ok for reptiles...where can I find all these Exo-Terra products, I'd guess petco or petsmart or something like that, right?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Petsmart carries Exoterra. As for the products you list there are a couple of problems. You don't want a waterfall in a Leo cage, Leos are desert animals and the waterfall will keep the air far too humid. As for the water well I assume that it is a simple gravity feed watering system. I don't see as there would be a problem with it but I am not personally familiar with the product.
    The magnetic dens look neat but there have been reports that when the outside half is put back in place the lizards have had their legs trapped and broken between the den and the glass of the terrarium.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Waterfall - Not Needed
    Fogger - Not Needed
    Reptile Den - Dangerous... Don't Use (someone on this site posted a thread showing their leos leg crushed when it was caught between the magnets when the outside part was reattached.)
    The "Heat Wave" is an under tank heater. Heat Wave is just the name of it.
    Basically, you could use any UTH. Just make sure it is for Under the tank. I don't see how a tropical UTH would be different from a desert UTH unless they are mounted differently.

Here is the sites caresheet: http://www.herpcenter.com/showthread.php?t=2731

5. __Leo Gurl__

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll remember that if I ever get a leo someday. ^-^

6. ReptileMan27

ReptileMan27 Elite Member

The new exo terra cages are awesome from what I heard from freinds that have them. They are ment more for aboreal species of geckos.

7. tink

tink Elite Member

Any UTH I have ever used is always been the Heat Wave ones. I have one 1.5 years old and still going. I like em.

As for the Waterfall, it's not needed for Leos as everyone said. I know a lot of people have used them with other herps successfully. But I once got one for tree frogs. It never connected right and the water always ran out of the fall into the cage and caused mold. I took it back and replaced it 3 times til I finally just got credit back. I think it was a bad batch of them. :(

8. fangsalot

fangsalot Elite Member

personaly i hate those exo terras for anything desert,there way too tall to decorate to look like a desert environment.but for tropical or semi tropical,there perfect.heat lamps are a no no,because the background and top melts.but i do have seven of them for my tarantulas,for them there perfect(with a couple of ajdustments depending on the species)as far as lighting only one(maybe two)kinds of small compact flouresant lights fit the top.(if your lucky to find them) [​IMG] thats for my colombian giant redleg tarantula,its perfect!

9. Jaded

Jaded Member

Tink, you've had those heatwaves last a year and a half? I've seen at least two come back to my petstore cause they caught on fire. Thats why I'd stay away from em.

10. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I've found one problem with my exo-terra tanks, crickets can escape through the little holes in the back of the screne lids. They can be closed but any crickets 3 weeks old or younger can escape rather easily. I just use some dark tape and tape the entire back part as I don't need the holes for hoses yet. Just a heads up because I found a bunch of crickets crawling through my appartment when I first got mine.

11. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

are the dens really that bad? crushed legs sound more like carelessness in useing them to me.
    just like looking to make sure you wont crush an animal with the tank lid or door, if you just look to make sure the lizard isen't between the den and the glass when you place the outside half back on, then nothing will get crushed.
    if the inside half is unable to move away from the glass when you take the outside half off, then the den won't be able to crush anything when putting the outside half back on. its simple enough, place a rock against it or atleast make sure its on a level surface.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Its the difference between something that you are voluntarily moving and something that contains magnets that actually grab each other and pull themselves together.

13. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

yea, but like i said.
    "look to make sure the lizard isen't between the den and the glass when you place the outside half back on"

then the magnets pulling the pieces together woulden't crush a leg since you would have looked to make sure thier was no leg that was in a position to be crushed by the edges of the den. if geckos foot is sitting right between the glass and one of the magnets, and you put the outside piece on causing his foot to be crushed, is it the dens fault that the foot got crushed? or the persons fault for not looking to make sure it was out of the way in the first place?

if you look at it as the dens fault, then i guess nothing is safe for reptiles because thiers tons of things that can result in injury if misused or not used with proper care, even food. "oh no, my gecko is fat, *insert any food type here* must be a terrible food" :p

most problems with products are caused by the user, not the item itself
    i could give probably give you a 2 page long listing of stuff that people do with thier pc which results in problems (which of course they blame on the pc, its brand, the os, or the hardware inside) :p

14. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

I see your point Zaroba and agree with you to a certain point but remember that at the last second your animals feet/tail/etc can be caught by the magnets even if you are extra careful.
    Of course doors or tank lids can cause the same harm but the difference is that you need them and the reptile den is just a fancy gadget.

15. HerpboyNY

HerpboyNY Elite Member

I used one of those reptile den's once. I did something that I saw in Reptile's magazine, it was turned upside down and used as an underground retreat, the substrate on the back kept it from moving when the piece outside the tank was pulled off. Plus, it was glued so a little less worry. But, I wass till careful. when I was constructing the enclosure I did something careless. I forget how it happened but the two sides came together around my thumb with nothing else in between the. It really hurt, those are VERY strong magnets.

16. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

They are very stong magnets..i have a spacer around the den so it ddont grab as tight, but tight enough

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.