This Disappears When Logged In

EXO-Terra glow light harmful to igs or not

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by replover, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. replover

replover Elite Member

Ok as you know from my other thread I am building a new enclosure and looking for proper heat and lighting etc.

I was recommended to not use the reptile specific light fixtures but I was previously looking to get the EXO-Terra "Glow Light" porcelain lamp fixture, which I was told that the glow was just a gimmick.

However, just before I was going out to the hardware store to get my normal porcelain lamp shade, my friend whom I had asked about lighting before told me he has an extra one of those exo glow lights that he can give to me for free. He says though that I should only take it if I really want it because otherwise he will give it to someone else who wants it. I respect that.

Now, I wouldn't mind taking the free lamp instead of spending more dollars, but I wonder if this "Gimmick" of a afterglow is just a harmless marketing tactic, or can it actually hurt my green iguana by disrupting its sleep?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I've never heard of them. Could you better describe what exactly the lights do? Apparently they glow after you turn them off or something? Are they UVB lights?

3. replover

replover Elite Member

No, I have a separate UV light. This is a basking procelain lamp FIXTURE with a glow in the dark inside lampshade. I will of course get the basking bulb separately.

It is shown here on its product page:
    http://www.exo-terra.com/EN/products/glow_light_i.html

It just has this luminous coating on the inside of the lamp that glows in the dark after absorbing the light bulb lights. It glows for a while after you turn the light off, supposed to immitate moonlight or something. Apparently it is just a gimmick to sell it for ridiculous prices, but I can get this for free. So I will use it unless it can in any way be harmful to my ig...

4. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

We have two of the things (only because they were the only model lamps available when we desperately needed them), and I'll have to say I haven't noticed they glow much at all. If there's a glow, it's very faint, and it doesn't last more than just a little while. If I'd had another choice at the time, I would have gotten regular lamps because I thought these were just a silly marketing ploy, and I didn't like the idea of an afterglow...but these really don't seem to be much different from the regular lamps my other snakes have since the advertised "glow" really isn't there.

I have snakes though, and not an ig, so I'd feel better if another ig owner could tell you if they'll bother the ig..... and also maybe our lamps are from a dud batch or something, and perhaps others glow more.

Oh, I almost forgot, it may be that mine don't glow much because the only bulbs I use are the red or black ones since my snakes are nocturnal and don't need a white bulb of any kind. White bulbs might actually induce the afterglow that Exo-terra advertises...I don't know...

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I really doubt that they would put off enough luminescence to make any difference to the Ig. my experience with some of the glow in the dark stickers and things in my grandkids bedrooms are they just barely glow enough to see the stickers. They don't actually light up anything.
    And since it isn't going to cost you anything yu can give it a try. However if the hood actually glows enough to cast any sort of shadow, ditch it.

6. sgt_wolf73

sgt_wolf73 New Member

Humm

Since I am new to the whole ig community take my thoughs with a grain of salt but my thoughs would be if there is a glow it shouldnt hurt the iggy cause well even in the deep forest the moon is going to glow through the trees which would also create a slight glow?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.