This Disappears When Logged In

Excavator Clay substrate

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by kriminaal, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Zoomed has a new product called Excavator Clay Burrowing substrate. It's has the ability to be molded to shape burrows and tunnels without collapsing. It is a great idea except for the fact that to be able to create burrows you're going to need $100 worth at least to get enough depth. If anyone has used this product let me know and please write a review on it.

2. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

not out yet. only the west coast

3. kriminaal

You can't get it? I just saw some at a herp show in Toronto.

4. MoogleBass

Not yet, well maybe now

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And they have a great big ad in Reptiles Magazine.

6. MoogleBass

Yes, their marketing is dumb. They have ads all over the US, but sadly started at the west coast and are moving it this way...I hope to get some next month.

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

isn't there something that could be used instead? I guess I would have to do some research, but there are lots of clays at different art supply stores, some just dry, some you need to bake. I guess we would need to see about the toxicity of them. If you had access to a place that soley sells ceramic supplies, i know they have all natural clay. That would be an interesting research project. I have a friend who throws pots for a living. I may ask her about the different clays out there for this purpose.

*edit*
    Sorry, i misunderstood what this product was about. I didn't get that its the acutal animal that does the digging. I read that it was a human that created burroughs for the animal.

Saying this, would someone want me to research a man made alternative? Something permanant?

8. kriminaal

Definitely. I've been trying to find an alternative myself. I'm not going to buy this stuff because I'd need 100 lbs or more. I've found some info on bentonite which is supposed to work by adding it to the sand. Now I've got to find some. Supposedly health food stores carry the powdered form. It is used for intestinal cleaning.

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

bentonite! Thats what my friend just asked me if its ok for critters. This is what she said:

Another option as long as they aren't toxic to iron. Low fire terra cotta clay with some Bentonite mixed into it. Bentonite is what will make it stronger in the unfired state. Essentially my mom's yard is terra cotta that hasn't been filtered yet.

Now this isn't for them to dig in, unless they can dig in clay. It will dry out and if it doesn't dry out may mold. This is more for you to make critter holes and climbing things for them, that will then dry before you put it in a cage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.