This Disappears When Logged In

Everglades Rat Snakes.

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by fiona, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fiona

fiona Active Member

Hi

I am just looking for some advice please. For the past few weeks I have being weighing up the options for a first snake. I have noticed that people are encouraged to keep a corn snake as their first snake.

Has anybody got any experience of an Everglades Rat Snake? Do you know anything about their nature and feeding habits or difficulties?

Not many people keep rat snakes. Any ideas why? Is it the nature of rat snakes that they are 'advanced' in some way to keep or thier availability?

Just like the look of the yellow or everglades varieties, and am under the impression they are less 'nippy' than the Texas rats.

Any advice welcome, regarding if it's a snake I would 'work towards' when experienced so to speak. Etc

:)
    Thanks
    from Fiona.

2. Murder Serpent

Murder Serpent Elite Member

Go for it! They are as easy as corn snakes in my experience but they do get a little bit bigger. Go for a hypo everglades, my fav.

3. fiona

fiona Active Member

Thanks for the reply.

I think I might be doing the predictable and starting off with a corn snake, because my husband said if I am going to get a snake he wants me to have the smallest he he. Although it was him who said he thought the everglades rat snake was cute.

Fiona.

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Corn snakes are great starters and of the same family as Rats.

Everglades Ratsnake = Elaphe Obsoleta Rossalleni
    Cornsnake = Elaphe Guttata guttata

there a alot of similarities in there husbandry, though the everglades rat will get a bit larger. Both are great pets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.